Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

V

January 5th, 2007 14:00

Vista Home Premium on E521 Blue Screen

I keep getting a blue screen of death.

No driver or device is mentioned. It just says:

Stop: 0x0000007E

And then some 0xFFFFFFC0000005, etc... bunch more hex(?) numbers...

Looking into it online it seems that video cards usually cause this error...

So I swapped mine out and walla, it boots...

SO I finish installation and then after a few boots for various things I get the BSOD again... But after a few tries it eventually boots into Vista again... But after rebooting it is off and on.. touch and go...

So I went back to XP and my old card (with dual monitors)...

Vista is going to have to do a lot of fixing before I try that again.

I remember this same thing with Windows XP...

99 Posts

January 6th, 2007 00:00

I have one but have heard nothing but bad things about Vista on E521s...there may be users out there who have had success with Vista using the E521 and I was considering signing up for the Vista upgrade but have been swayed big time by the negative comments I've read of people who have tried to use it.

11 Posts

January 6th, 2007 01:00

It kind of makes you wonder doesn't it?

With the problems I am having, how is Vista supposed to run on an E521 without releasing a second DVD with upgraded drivers and software?

Think Windows98 Second Edition... Windows 98 Original ed and had lots of these same issues... SE worked flawlessly on everyone I ever referred to it...

So... How long until Vista SE comes out?

1.3K Posts

January 6th, 2007 02:00

Please see this Microsoft message regarding the stop: 0x0000007E error

11 Posts

January 6th, 2007 03:00

@ManyDimensions wrote:
Please see this Microsoft message regarding the stop: 0x0000007E error

• If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is finished, the computer may not have sufficient hard disk space to run Windows.
• If this issue occurs after the first restart during Windows Setup, or after Setup is complete, the computer BIOS may be incompatible with Windows.
• Incompatible video adapter drivers.
• Damaged RAM.
• A damaged device driver or system service.
• If the issue is associated with the Win32k.sys file, it may be caused by a third-party remote control program.

Disk Space - I have over 100 gigs for it to use...

BIOS - I am using the BIOS revision Dell seems to have put out for Vista. 1.1.4

Incompatible Display Drivers - How can I change them if I cannot access the OS?

Damaged RAM - Not likely... though I have had many errors in XP on this system. Always something about a program could not read something in memory.

Damages Devide Driver - Once again, how can this be?

Win32.sys - Not the problem....

So I ran a memory tester on my RAM... It passed.

I did get in 2 times with a different video card so it seems like it has something to do with video... and it stopped working with that card when I changed the resolution... So I am thinking it is a video problem.

1.3K Posts

January 6th, 2007 06:00

Guess you know where to look now?

11 Posts

January 6th, 2007 10:00

Yes... and no...

You see, how can I go back in and change the resolution if I cannot boot into the OS?

5 Posts

July 13th, 2007 13:00

I am having the EXACT sane problem on my machine which is surprise surprise a E521 which I only bought because Dell said it could do Vista and I needed a new computer then otherwise I would have waited. What also annoys me is that the Dell upgrade assistance took all my DVD related stuff off and said it would reinstall them when it finishes, but its never finished and so therefore I am without all of these apps and can not find a way to get them back on. I am very much regretting buying this computer
No Events found!