Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

April 3rd, 2008 03:00

Vista SP1 won't go to sleep

My Dimension 410 with Vista SP1 won't enter sleep mode. The screen blacks out but the system is still powered up, and shaking the mouse wakes up the monitor.  Sleep worked fine before the SP1 upgrade. Anyone else have this?

2.9K Posts

April 3rd, 2008 03:00

Open Device Manager, expand the "Mice and other pointing devices" section, double click on the mouse description, click the Power Management tab, and uncheck "Allow this device to wake the computer". You may have to do the same with your keyboard, network adapter, and possibly some of the other hardware that is displayed in Device Manager.

April 4th, 2008 23:00

Thanks, but that didn't work.  I did uncheck that for the mouse, since I had recently (post-SP1 upgrade) installed a new one, but the others were left as they were since they  worked fine before the upgrade.

35 Posts

April 5th, 2008 05:00

You can get into power option and chk the settings

IF the issue is not going to sleep mode follow these steps

1  Click on Start

2  Click on Control Panel

3  Click on Power Option

4  There will be certain option like

Balanced
         change plan settings
      Power saver
         change plan settings
      High performance
         Change plan settings

Dell recommended settings

I hope it will be checked under dell recommended settings under that an option change the plan settings click on that

Change settings for the plan: Balanaced

Turn off the display         chk wht is there

Put the computer to sleep    chk wht is there

Change advanced power settings

Click on the above mention it will open an screen

the last option

Multimedia option in that chk which one is selected whethere is in idel and try to change appropriate and chk the same

April 5th, 2008 18:00

Rahul_san

Thanks!  The last one did it.  In power options, select "change plan settings" under whatever plan option you're using, then "change advanced power settings", and at the bottom of the list is "multimedia settings". under "when sharing media" the setting needed to be changed to "allow computer to sleep".

It's strange since I don't use any multimedia things, except maybe the Pinnacle USB video capture thing I have is considered "multimedia".

April 30th, 2008 22:00

I'm having this same problem.

I just realized that this thread was marked as 'solved'; therefore, I will start a new thread.

Message Edited by Chris Waters on 05-02-2008 12:02 PM

35 Posts

May 3rd, 2008 06:00

If that not working try to unistall the PCI bus and restart your system.(get into device manager unistall pci bus) when you restart the system pci bus will automatically install and make sure the settings is right for the sleep mode. Then you can check whether is going to sleep mode or not.

It will work 100%

May 6th, 2008 16:00

@rahul_san wrote:

If that not working try to unistall the PCI bus and restart your system.(get into device manager unistall pci bus) when you restart the system pci bus will automatically install and make sure the settings is right for the sleep mode. Then you can check whether is going to sleep mode or not.

It will work 100%

Thanks.

What would cause a new PC to have this problem? How do I prevent the problem from happening again? How does uninstalling/re-installing the PCI bus help? What does that action actually do?

FYI: On another forum, readers recommended that I use the MCE Standby Tool. Have you heard of it?

Message Edited by Chris Waters on 05-06-2008 01:44 PM

35 Posts

May 7th, 2008 07:00

I really appreciate that you looking all the forum. Is not like that your old PC will cause this problem that is depends upon the confilict between drivers.

Sleep mode is depends on network driver and video driver.As per technical terms if you uninstall old settings which is contain the issue when u install it will take a new settings and the issue will fix.

Always dont beleive in theortical am a tech support person i used this as a practical and is working and thats why as informing to you.

1 Message

May 28th, 2008 21:00

I tried both of rahul_san's solutions. Neither worked. I had also asked Dell directly. On May 23 they said,

"Microsoft and Dell are still working on a fix."

May 29th, 2008 00:00

I ended up installing the MCE Standby Tool I listed above. Using the default options, my Inspiron's standby mode now works as it should!

I configured the standby tool to ignore network activity, keypresses, and mouse activity. The only thing that now takes the PC out of standy mode is pressing the power button.

No Events found!