Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 17th, 2009 14:00

Vista: Windows Explorer Problem

Ok, to start it off i want to say that i've had loads of problems with vista.  My problem is that Windows Explorer Randomly Stops working or goes extremely slow. 

It was fine until 5 days ago after i did a registry clean and exited mid scan.  I logged on the next day and it was taking up to 2 minutes to open folders and applications that usually only took a couple of seconds.  I have tried scanning for virus's and i have none.  I do spyware checks everyday..  I've also defragged my computer and done a C Drive Cleanup.  My biggest problem is opening the My Computer file.  Once it takes the 2 minutes to open.. i can only open about 2 folders from then until it freezes and force restarts windows explorer (Which does nothing at all).  I have been on many forums and searched for a way to fix this and TONS of people have this problem but mainly with opening control panel.  If anyone has had problems like me or has fixed this PLEASE give me suggestions

1.1K Posts

April 17th, 2009 16:00

You state it was fine until 5 days ago when you did a registry cleaning.  So that would indicate it might have been something you did.  Try doing a system restore to a day before you started having the problem.  It might reset the system files (possibly one became corrupted) and see if that helps.

8 Posts

April 17th, 2009 21:00

I have already Restored my computer to 2 days before i did the reg. Clean.  No change at all.. Quite odd in my opinion. Any other suggestions?

1.1K Posts

April 18th, 2009 08:00

Some registry cleaners will save the deletions you have made, allowing for a restore at a later time.  Check to see if any save was made through the registry program and if so see if you can restore it.

Otherwise, I am thinking insert your OS disk and do a repair that way.

8 Posts

April 21st, 2009 13:00

Sorry it took so long to reply.  I have another way to describe it.  I dont know if this will help.  Here it is...

It's almost as if my PC has to search the whole computer before opening each program.  Because when i go to the start menu and click on a folder, the spy glass goes over the folder which obviously means Searching.. Any help?

April 21st, 2009 16:00

Hi, I wish I had good news but I am having the same problem with internet explorer.  I was searching the internet to see if anyone else was experiencing the same problem had a solution that might work when I came across your post. I have spent the past two days on the phone with computer manufacturer, microsoft, internet provider etc.....  They have done just about every thing you can imagine.  I have been scanned for viruses, reset to an earlier start point, drivers uninstalled and reinstalled and on and on.  In two days I have logged more than 11 hours on the phone trying to get this resolved.  My problem has just been elevated to a level two tech at Microsoft who is suppose to call me tomorrow afternoon to continue to work on the problem.   I will post the results.  Good Luck!!!

8 Posts

April 25th, 2009 00:00

Sorry to hear you have the same problem. Yes... Please reply to me with the report.

8 Posts

April 26th, 2009 17:00

Ok.  I don't know what happened but its fixed.  I started my PC like usual and it came up with an error message this time asking me to restore my PC. I clicked cancel and its back to its old self.. ODD but im happy :D.

April 26th, 2009 18:00

OMG!!  I had the exact thing happen last night with one exception.  My error message mentioned that it fixed a corrupt file.  My computer is working fine now and It is so strange that very similar things happened to both of us at the same time.  Bizzare!!!!  Glad it worked out for you!!  I wish I understood more about it.

64 Posts

May 17th, 2009 14:00

Hi Guys - Whats causing your machines to crash is explorer.exe is crashing,Don't want to be the bearer of bad news but yous might have just temporary fixed the issue.

What you have to do is uninstall sigmatel driver from programs.(soundmax)Than reboot your machine and let windows install the driver.It will be a microsoft driver not the sigmatel driver .(sigmatel and microsoft are very awhere of this issue)and hope to have a whql certified driver out soon.....rich b..

No Events found!