Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 25th, 2008 13:00

Vista blank screen after login

Hey everyone - I am having a little bit of trouble with a new vista install. Everytime I boot up, everything goes normal until after i enter my password to login. Once I go to do that, the screen goes blank and there is just a mouse cursor for 1-2 minutes - no hard drive activity as far as i can tell. After 1-2 minutes, my desktop loads up and everything runs fine. I tried reinstalling the drivers for the 8400M GS (the computer is a new m1330), but it didn't seem to fix the problem.

Has anyone run into this before? Any ideas of how to fix it? Thanks a lot!!

1.7K Posts

November 25th, 2008 13:00

That sounds like a program that is doing something in your profile.  Do you have the problem if you start in Safe Mode (F8 just after the Dell splash screen but before the "Windows is Starting" message)?

24 Posts

November 25th, 2008 14:00

Hey - I just gave it a try in safe mode, and it worked fine. Rebooted regularly, and the problem returns. When I open task manager while it is just sitting at the blank screen, here are the processes that are running:

winlogon.exe

taskmgr.exe

explorer.exe

dwm.exe

csrss.exe

Not sure if that helps or not, but it cant really hurt. Also, how long is it vista supposed to stay at the screen that displays "welcome" as it loads up (usually the screen right before you see the desktop) - mine sits there for probably 30 seconds or so. Thanks for the help!

-jon

24 Posts

November 26th, 2008 08:00

Ok - been doing some testing (well, lots of testing!), and here is what I have found: if i go to msconfig and disable the "Dell Wireless WLAN Tray Service", it seems to boot just fine. I thought this was really pretty wierd seeing as i thought it would be something that loads up normally (as it did when i first turned it on). Is it possible this service could be somehow corrupted or something? What purpose does it serve - is it even necessary? Any ideas on what else could be causing this (maybe it isnt the tray tool, but something related to the tray tool??).  Thanks a lot!

-jon

No Events found!