Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

April 9th, 2016 17:00

WINDOWS 10 UPDATE AND "BSOD" XPS 2710

I've read a few threads concerning XPS 2710 systems going down from Windows 10.  Personally, I never checked the compatibility of the system and just assumed when Microsoft checked and said it was upgradeable, I was good to transition from 8.1.   It ran without issues for months, but after a recent update the computer has been completely down.  It powers up, everything sounds like it is running fine but the screen is completely black -- no DELL logo.  I've been reading and the consensus appears to be a non-compatible Intel video driver on the last update.  My question is, has anyone found a way to overcome this problem and return it to a functional computer?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

April 11th, 2016 09:00

Hi Kenaryn,

Thank you for writing to us!

check if display is available in BIOS, if yes, Run diagnostics, if no errors yielded,

kindly backup data, check if system can be restored to Win 8.1, Win 10 provided "GO BACK" option in recovery mode under troubleshoot options, if available restore to Win 8.1 and then proceed to Win 10 (if customer is still interested in Win 10), if Go back is not available, customer can reinstall the OS, if OS media is not available  -  download the image from Dell portal

Thanks

Robin

1 Message

May 22nd, 2016 12:00

Robin,

I've got a xps 2710 running Windows 8.1 Pro and have not upgraded to Windows 10 Pro given the caution published over the past year by Dell.

Today I received a message from Microsoft stating that  a Windows 10 upgrade is approved for my machine and is scheduled for May 25th.  I see no message from Dell that they have now cleared the xps 2710 for this upgrade.

Am I correct in assuming that Dell continues to advise that it has not cleared the xps for this ungrade. This being so, what, if anything, should I be doing to forestall the May 25th scheduled upgrade by Microsoft?

Thank you for whatever advice you might be able to give.

Bob Adamson

rda@shaw.ca

2.3K Posts

May 22nd, 2016 14:00

Windows 10 is not recommended for the XPS 2710.  Microsoft does a simple scan of hardware to see if the hardware is compatible but that is it.  They do not take into account if the hardware combination is compatible, if there is any 'special' hardware Dell or any other OEM put in is compatible, etc.  From what I have read on the XPS 2710 its a mess, and while Windows 10 is somewhat nice its still a mess in my opinion. 

13 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 16:00

Just wondering if you have found a solution.  I, like you, never checked the compatibility and assumed I was good to go....no problems for  a few months, and now I'm experiencing exactly the same issue as you posted about.  So bummed :(

13 Posts

May 23rd, 2016 16:00

I am having this same issue....what if the display is NOT available in BIOS?

1 Message

October 26th, 2016 14:00

Just curious if you ever upgraded to 10?  I've been running for over a year now and it was fine until recent upgrades this summer started causing video issues.  Dell, of course said its not compatible with Win10 which is so helpful considering what this machine cost.  I have found some workarounds to my issues with heat affecting the video card, running my PC with the back off and an extra fan.  Sometimes I have to put in sleep mode for a while to cool off, which helps.  Really dumb that these drivers could not get resolved, as I'd like to keep a machine in use for at least 5-7 years.

13 Posts

October 26th, 2016 14:00

I ended up replacing my computer....I had no choice.  It was a very expensive paperweight :(

4 Posts

December 23rd, 2016 18:00

"It powers up, everything sounds like it is running fine but the screen is completely black -- no DELL logo."

BIOS is unavailable.  Diagnostics are unavailable.  Absolutely everything is unavailable.

This is a known problem, but Dell seems unwilling to behave responsibly and actually fix it.

No Events found!