Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 5th, 2008 18:00

WMI provider Host has stopped working

In my new Lap top (Inspiron 1720 with Vista Home premium), the message "WMI provider host has stopped working" appears systematically after booting (and this happens since I got the new computer). If I reboot it may appear again or not, it looks as a random behaviour. After the message, the computer looks working normally (I am using only office and internet), but it is slower to access my home network.

Which is the function of WMI and is it possible to avoid this stop working?

Thanks

Giampaolo

253 Posts

March 5th, 2008 20:00

Go there

Just fill your info, then you will have the fix update from microsoft

Good Luck

6 Posts

March 8th, 2008 17:00

I have exactly the same problem on my XPS1330 with Windows Vista Home Premium. I have submitted a request for getting the hotfix from the link provided below. I am not sure whether that particular hotfix is applicable to my laptop. Previously, I did not succeed with the following hotfix :

Windows6.0-KB935553-x86

When I tried my luck with the above hotfix, I got a message saying that it was not applicable for my pc.

I would appreciate any help in identifying the right hotfix for my laptop - XPS 1330 with win vista.

The message that I get at the final stage of startup is :

WMI provider host has stopped functioning and must abort (this is a translation from swedish).

I give below the full details from the events viewer :

Problemsignatur

Händelsenamn: APPCRASH

Programnamn: wmiprvse.exe

Programversion: 6.0.6000.16386

Programtidsstämpel: 4549af45

Namn på felmodul:  StackHash_c9d6

Modulens version:  6.0.6000.16386

Tidsstämpel för felmodul:    4549bdc9

Undantagskod: c0000374

Undantagsförskjutning: 000af1c9

OS-version: 6.0.6000.2.0.0.768.3

Språkvariant-ID:  1053

Ytterligare information 1:          c9d6

Ytterligare information 2:          32601128990215e13ed2ff5bda997d6d

Ytterligare information 3:          6f23

Ytterligare information 4:          d9c2eb8314b44b949633d22e1f04595b 

Extra information om problemet

Bucket-ID:       347719248

I hope that these details suffice to identify the problem.

253 Posts

March 8th, 2008 19:00

giampaolo and ravi.118

are you used McAfee Spamkiller?

6 Posts

March 8th, 2008 21:00

I don't understand. Are you saying that this problem comes from Mcafee spamkiller? Is there any solution?

136 Posts

March 9th, 2008 09:00

No, I am using only Norton, the version included by Dell bundled with the computer

Giampaolo

253 Posts

March 9th, 2008 11:00

and there is another way for both of you giampaolo and ravi.118

I think the problem is some type of conflict between "security center" on Vista and various 3rd party antivirus programs.

Go to control panel--administrative tools--services (use default view if you can't find it). Scroll down to "Windows Management Instrumentation" (sort by name) and click "stop service" on the left. You will get a prompt telling you what programs will be affected (mostly b.s. and security center), but go ahead and do it. BYE BYE annoying message. McAffee works fine after this so you're "protected with your antivirus software.

For completion sake, also ran msconfig in the run pane, clicked on services and disabled Windows Management Instrumentation there too. (you can also get there by control panel--system configuration).

the computer is running like a dream

Good Luck

253 Posts

March 9th, 2008 11:00

ravi.118 you need to disable your Mcafee spamkiller
and see the result

To get McAfee to stop alerting you that SpamKiller is disabled, Open McAfee
Security Center, go to the lower left corner and click on Configure. Go to
Protection Status->Advanced->Ignored Problems. Check "Spam filtering is
turned off"->OK.

136 Posts

March 9th, 2008 13:00

Thanks for the suggestion, but I repeat that the computer came from Dell with Norton installed (with 18 months of included subscription) and not McAfee. And Norton is still running and I didn' change anything

Shall I follow equivalent steps, provided that something equivalent exists with Norton?

Waiting for your comments

Giampaolo

6 Posts

March 9th, 2008 19:00

Thanks Alot4u for your tips. Yes, I have Mcafee and I will indeed try out your suggestions. Like giampaolo, I have had this problem right from the beginning. In that case, isn't this the official responsibility of Dell also. Their usual position is that they are not responsible for any software problems. But this case has something to with the OS in some way which means that they have their share of responsibility.
Would Dell officially care to comment?
Ravi
PS. This is not to take away the credit for your help, alot4u. Many, many thanks for your help.

253 Posts

March 9th, 2008 23:00

giampaolo I think you should do what i suggested before, and tell me the result

ravi.118 try it too and hit me with result

and No responsibility for dell, cos we are still tring to solve

and dell opend this community to help us, so plz, dell had nothing with it

Good luck every 1

136 Posts

March 10th, 2008 20:00

Please confirm that doing the same with Norton instead with Mcafee is riskless

Giampaolo

253 Posts

March 10th, 2008 23:00

Sorry giampaolo, But Who am I to confirm that!!

If you are convinced do it, If not then don't

6 Posts

March 11th, 2008 11:00

Hi Alot4u,
I have tried to implement your suggestion about switching off the spamkiller function in Macafee. I did that and even took the tickmark away on the spamstopping option in the advanced configuration settings. Alas, the wmi error turned out to be beast which refused to disappear. I turned off the pc and restarted a couple of times. This did not help. Status quo prevailed. I got the same error message. I have not tried the other option about changes in the control panel.
I am waiting now for some new ideas.
Ravi

253 Posts

March 11th, 2008 16:00

ravi.118, I think you should try the other option....

6 Posts

March 11th, 2008 17:00

I tried the other option as well. I don't know whether I should laugh or cry now. The wmi error message does not appear. That is positive. However, I get a message from an icon in the system tray on the bottom right of the desktop that several start programs have been blocked. When I click on that to find out more, I find that apart from windows management instrumentation, many other services have been blocked as well. For example, windows remote management and windows defender. Many others as well, but these are the ones nearest to the instrumentation service. When I click on the windows security service in the control panel, I find that it signals red - all protection is off. On the Mcafee window, however, I see green - the protection is on. I don't understand what is happening.

The wmi error message was iritating. It came up after every start. Very irritating. But it was still just a mosquito bite and just required that the window be closed. With all these new changes, however, I feel that I am in deep water with very little swimming ability.

No Events found!