Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 29th, 2008 20:00

What is MS Visual C++ --------

My Dell E-520 Vista Home Premium came with a program installed called "Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistribution Tab". Can anyone tell me what this is & if I need it or not. I researched it on Goggle but got lost in the explanation somehow.

I also have another dumb question. How do you mark a problem solved on this forum?

Russ

Dell-520
Vista Home Premium SP-1

14.4K Posts

August 30th, 2008 00:00

@delta dart wrote:

My Dell E-520 Vista Home Premium came with a program installed called "Microsoft Visual C ++ Redistribution Tab". Can anyone tell me what this is & if I need it or not. I researched it on Goggle but got lost in the explanation somehow.

I also have another dumb question. How do you mark a problem solved on this forum?

Russ

Dell-520
Vista Home Premium SP-1

for the solved issue click on the options at the righthand side of the post. Only the orginal poster can mark the tread solved

46 Posts

August 31st, 2008 04:00

C++ is a programming language used to write computer programs.  Visual C++ is Microsoft's version.

A program preinstalled on your computer must require the components contained in the redistribution program.

Since I don't know which program is relying on those components I can't tell you whether it's safe to remove or not without causing any problems.

If you want, post the entire list of programs on the uninstall programs screen and maybe we can figure it out.

102 Posts

September 1st, 2008 03:00

Thanks Zoder for your reply. I think you are correct about other programs requiring MS Visual C++. I found the AVG Antivirus program did not function without it. After reinstalling it using system restore every thing was fine. It is possible as you stated before other programs may also require it.

Thanks again.

Russ

46 Posts

September 1st, 2008 17:00

FYI, my brother bought a Gateway P-7811FX yesterday and it also has the c++ redistribution program preinstalled.
No Events found!