Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 27th, 2007 18:00

Where to put .inf driver files?

Hi,
I have a Logitech webcam that I would like to install on my computer, but I do not want the the software that goes along with it (they do not provide an option to install the drivers only). So for now, I just plug in the camera and then select the drivers to use after Windows states it could not find the drivers. (Or use the Device Manager to update the drivers.)

To make this a little easier, is there any special folder I can dump the .inf, and related files into, so that when I plug in the webcam for the first time, Windows will be able to find them instead of asking me?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

295 Posts

January 27th, 2007 21:00

Thanks for the reply, I did try putting the drivers in the INF folder and it kinda worked. The camera has three drivers..one for the camera, microphone, and USB composite device. Without doing this, it would ask for a driver for the camera (the USB and composite device used generic drivers provided by Windows). When I put all three drivers in the INF folder, it did not ask me for the driver for the camera, however it still used the generic drivers from Windows for the mic and composite device.

I guess updating the drivers through the Device Manager isn't so bad, I was thinking there was at least 4 or 5 things I needed to update, and it was easier than I remembered. Also, this is only a one time thing, although I do like to reinstall XP a few times a year. :smileysurprised:

2.7K Posts

January 27th, 2007 21:00

Hi

The .inf files are all stored in C:\Windows\inf
This is a hidden folder. To see it
Win Explorer/Tools/Folder Options/View
Put a check in "Show hidden files and folders"

I`m sure I have read that you will still be asked where to find them.  It is only the files installed by default that are automatically found for you.

I think what you are doing is the only way to do it.  No easy way:smileysad:

2.7K Posts

January 28th, 2007 11:00

Glad to have helped. :smileyhappy:

I usually back up all my drivers to CD with this free utility.  Then you have all of them safe, in the same place and easy to find for a reinstall

No Events found!