Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 5th, 2009 07:00

Who gives complete support for OEM versions of Applications?

Never in my life will I support dell.

Recently, I had purchased a Dell Latitude XT, Tablet PC with Windows XP (downgraded). I had a problem while upgrading the internet explorer from version 6 to version 7. When I tried to get support from customer support, they said that dell can offer only basic support for software’s that are installed in any laptop, in spite of opting for their 3 years complete cover (for which I paid approximately Rs 13,000 INR). After the basic level of trouble shooting, the problem did not resolve. I asked them, what’s next for resolving the issue; the executive replied that, I should get in touch with Microsoft for further support.

Hoping that Microsoft will resolve it, at no cost, I called Microsoft customer support, India. The executive gives me directions to remove IE7 and she had given me a link to download the proper setup file for installing IE7. In spite of doing so, the problem still persisted. So I called up Microsoft support again, and told them that the problem with IE7 is still not resolved, for which the executive said that for further assistance, I need to pay a fee of Rs 800 (pay per service), and she also said that it is not guaranteed that the problem will be resolved. Because the operating system that was given by the OEM (in my case, Dell) does not have the complete installation. We can provide guaranteed support for the one’s who purchase full operating system. Does this mean that OEM software is supported only by OEM’s?

I couldn’t imagine that there are so many problems that will arise in getting OEM software. And was wondering how many of laptop users know that Dell does not provide complete support to application related issues that occur in their own versions of OEM software.  If Dell is not able to give any support to OEM versions of the software, why do they charge for applications (OS, Antivirus and Office suite) separately?

Now, how do I get this resolved? Please share your thoughts.

171 Posts

August 5th, 2009 07:00

It is, what it is. The warranty is more for the hardware than anything else. They can only give basic support for software, anything further, you  need to contact the  manufacturer of the software. If you want limitless software support, Dell would have to charge a small fortune for the warranty. I'm glad that they don't, because that would be unfair to other people who don't need or want endless software support.

I just upgraded my 3-month old Dell laptop, to Windows 7. Guess what that means? Now the warranty will not cover the Operating System on my new laptop. Does that seem unfair? I don't think so.

With software problems, my experience is that forums like these can be a wonderful thing to help you solve problems. Also, using search engines is a very powerful tool.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

August 5th, 2009 08:00

Dell isnt responsible for providing free microsoft support.

Dell isnt responsible for microsoft making junk software.

Whether you had a dell or not you would still be in the same place now.

Time to reformat and reinstall.

2.2K Posts

August 5th, 2009 09:00

As others have said, the warranty you purchased does not include software support. If you read the Terms of Sale, you will see that Dell expressly does not warrant software.

Taken from the Terms of Sale:

"Warranties.  THE LIMITED WARRANTIES APPLICABLE TO DELL-BRANDED HARDWARE PRODUCT CAN BE FOUND AT www.dell.com/warranty OR IN THE DOCUMENTATION DELL PROVIDES WITH DELL-BRANDED PRODUCT. DELL MAKES NO WARRANTIES FOR SERVICE, SOFTWARE, OR NON-DELL BRANDED PRODUCT, SERVICE, MAINTENANCE OR SUPPORT. SUCH PRODUCT, SOFTWARE, SERVICE, MAINTENANCE OR SUPPORT IS PROVIDED BY DELL "AS IS" AND ANY THIRD-PARTY WARRANTIES, SERVICES, MAINTENANCE AND SUPPORT ARE PROVIDED BY THE ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER OR SUPPLIER, NOT BY DELL."

But... Since you found these forums, you should post your problem in a new thread. Be specific, and try to find the appropriate forum to post.

The help here is free, and often better than what you'd get from a paid software support site.

Good luck.

165 Posts

August 5th, 2009 11:00

If you want "full" support from micro$oft, buy a computer with no operating system, then get a "retail" version of Windows OS, and install it.

???

Microsoft has a long-standing policy of providing "free" support for problems installing patches/service packs.

No Events found!