Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 27th, 2010 10:00

Why can't I Download the Dell Desktop System Software on the Drivers and Downloads Page

I just reinstalled Windows XP on a Dimension 8300 and I need to install the drivers.

According to Dell's suggested order, I need to download the Desktop System Software first.

I entered my Service Tag, and when the Downloads and Drivers page came up, there are two drop down menus under Refine Your Results for Operating System and Category.  I chose the following:

Operating System: Windows XP
Category: All

Now, according to the directions on http://support.dell.com/support/topics/global.aspx/support/dsn/en/document?c=us&cs=19&dl=false&l=en&s=dhs&docid=E2F806919AE28742E0301E0A55172655&doclang=en of how to install Desktop System Software, It says to click the Plus to expand the System Utilities section.  Then it says "View the list of available utilities and click on Dell™ - Utility, where below it states Applies to: Dell Desktop System Software."

The problem is that there's no System Utilities section. 

The choices are as follows:

Applications (6)
Audio (3)
Bios (1)
CD/DVD (22)
Chipset (1)
Communication (13)
Diagnostics (3)
IDE & EIDE Controllers (1)
Network (9)
Patches and Fixes (1)
SATA Drives (3)
Video (15)

Does anyone know what I'm missing and how to download the Desktop System Software?  I can't download any other Drivers according to the Dell article until I do.

1.3K Posts

February 27th, 2010 12:00

Thanks Dave. So follow the "order" starting at Chipset then?

Yes.

Sorry for delay. Had to run errands.

1.3K Posts

February 27th, 2010 10:00

The 8300 does not need ( Desktop System Software). Your first "Driver" will be "Chipset".

4 Posts

February 27th, 2010 11:00

Thanks Dave. So follow the "order" starting at Chipset then?

No Events found!