Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 18th, 2007 03:00

Will Vista Invalidate My Warranty?

I was just reading my warranty terms and it says that Dell will not support any system in which the hardware or software configuration is different than the one that was loaded when the system left the factory.  So, as far as I can tell, loading Vista will invalidate my warranty.  Does that mean it's best to wait for the one-year warranty to end before installing Vista?  I'm glad I didn't purchase a four-year contract!

12K Posts

January 18th, 2007 04:00

Interesting question.  No one has brought this up yet.  You warranty will be good, you will just not receive any support without the original configuration.

12.1K Posts

January 18th, 2007 09:00

My two cents on this, which agrees with jmwills.....

Added hardware will not void the warranty on a Dell.  Just the part you installed will not be covered. 

The Operating System ( Vista ) will not be covered either.  Microsoft will cover that for a period of time. 

If something goes wrong with the system, and you need warranty work, Dell will require you to get the system back to the original configuration first.  Normally if your system needs warranty work, after a part fails, Dell will normally, but not always, send out the part for you to install, unless you are not capable of doing it yourself.    

336 Posts

January 18th, 2007 12:00

I can answer this question with some clarity because the exact situation has already occurred.

I had originally ordered a 6400, received it and installed Vista.  I started to have problems with it shortly after that, did the walkthroughs with them and eventually had to reinstall XP Media.  I did this, back to factory settings and still had problems...many of them.  They told me for one it was my graphics card but there also seemed to be a problem affecting my memory usage.

So back it went on the Customer Satisfaction return program  (30 days to return for any reason including dissatisfaction to which refund is full price/they even pay postage)

Got a new XPS since...for almost the same price since I did alot of talking to them during my probs (over 25 hrs and 2 very bad reps) and have installed Vista RC2 without a hitch.  In fact, I have spoken to the XPS Customer Assistance team any number of times for software assistance with Vista.

I have asked any number of times as well...is the system covered.  The resounding answer is yes otherwise they wouldnt supply Vista drivers prior to the release to help you out.  They understand that a great deal of customer hit and miss with betas not only helps them out but also MS and other third party customers.

Yes, Virginia you are allowed to be a guinea pig.

44 Posts

January 18th, 2007 19:00

What is the customer satisfaction return program?

628 Posts

January 18th, 2007 19:00

I think I would be of the opinion that if your system shipped with some version of XP, then YOU went out and bought a retail copy of Vista and installed it, then Dell may not support your copy of Vista because it didn't come from them.

Keep in mind that one difference between OEM software and Retail software is who supports it.

Typically Retail software is supported my the software publisher, In Vista's case, Retail Vista would be supported by Microsoft.

OEM software on the other hand is supported by the OEM and not the original software publisher.

Again if we use the example of a Dell copy of Vista, the support for Vista would be provided bt Dell and not Microsoft.

Back to your warranty question, I would assume that since your new system qualifies for a free upgrade to Vista from Dell, that that copy of Vista (from Dell) would be considered as something that came with your system (although as you point out it wasn't loaded on it at the factory) and that copy of Vista would be supported by Dell and would NOT invalidate your warranty.

Just my point of view of course.

12K Posts

January 19th, 2007 00:00

But in this case the Vista software IS coming from Dell but the system originally shipped with XP, sooooooo, I'll stick with my original statement.

2 Posts

January 19th, 2007 07:00

Vista will not invalidate your warranty,.

dell technical support will support your vista if you upgrade it through dell,.
but if you get your vista from other vendor (not from dell), they will not support it,.

i know that theres an upgrade coupon for vista when you bought your system few months ago,.

12K Posts

January 19th, 2007 08:00

Can you cite a source for this?  We go by the premise the system was not as delivered by Dell.

311 Posts

January 21st, 2007 18:00

Just to clarify the support policy -

Installing a 3rd party OS, Vista or otherwise, will not void your hardware warranty. Tech support is provided on Operating Systems we factory install on our systems.

Dell will provide technical support for Windows Vista if:
  1. You purchased a system with Vista factory installed.
  2. You purchased a system with XP factory installed and redeemed your Express Upgrade offer for a Vista Upgrade CD.

Any other retail upgrades purchased , through a 3rd party or Dell, will be supported by Microsoft or via Dell On Call ( fee based ).

628 Posts

January 21st, 2007 22:00

SR45...

Now why in the world would the free support only be for the original 21 day return period??

That make no sense whatsoever.

I'd bet that in the case of Vista, as long as your redeeming your Vista express upgrade option, it would be supported for the original duration of your original warranty.

12.1K Posts

January 21st, 2007 22:00

DELL-Aaron wrote:
Just to clarify the support policy -

Installing a 3rd party OS, Vista or otherwise, will not void your hardware warranty. Tech support is provided on Operating Systems we factory install on our systems.

Dell will provide technical support for Windows Vista if:
  1. You purchased a system with Vista factory installed.
  2. You purchased a system with XP factory installed and redeemed your Express Upgrade offer for a Vista Upgrade CD.

Any other retail upgrades purchased , through a 3rd party or Dell, will be supported by Microsoft or via Dell On Call ( fee based ).

Things change a lot at Dell, and wondering if the support is only for the original 21 day return policy and pay after that, or is it still support as long as the original warranty, be it 90 days, 1 or 4 years  ? 

44 Posts

January 21st, 2007 23:00

I appreciate what Aaron says but that level of support is beyond the terms and conditions of Dell's warranty.  Right now, I still have yet to receive a single email response.

311 Posts

January 22nd, 2007 01:00

Yes, if you redeem your Vista express upgrade coupon Dell will support Vista the same as XP.

628 Posts

January 22nd, 2007 03:00

TimB001 is simply pointing out that according to the listed terms of the "Limited Warranties and Return Policy" located here...

That software is NOT covered by the warranty. ANY software, regardless wither we're taliking about XP or Vista.

"Limited Warranties and Return Policy

Dell-branded hardware products purchased in the U.S. or Canada come with either a 90-day, 1-year, 2-year, 3-year or 4-year limited warranty, depending on the product purchased. To determine which warranty came with your hardware product(s), see your packing slip or invoice. The following sections describe the limited warranties and return policy for the U.S.

What is covered by this limited warranty?

This limited warranty covers defects in materials and workmanship in your — our end-user customer's — Dell-branded hardware products, including Dell-branded peripheral products.

What is not covered by this limited warranty?

This limited warranty does not cover:

• Software, including the operating system and software added to the Dell-branded hardware products through our factory-integration system, third-party software, or the reloading of software
  • Non-Dell branded and Solution Provider Direct products and accessories
  • Problems that result from:
    External causes such as accident, abuse, misuse, or problems with electrical power
    Servicing not authorized by Dell
    Usage that is not in accordance with product instructions
    Failure to follow the product instructions or failure to perform preventive maintenance
    Problems caused by using accessories, parts, or components not supplied by Dell
  • Products with missing or altered Service Tags or serial numbers
  • Products for which Dell has not received payment"

Note: from the same document, with regards to Service Contracts,

"

What if I purchased a service contract?

If your service contract is with Dell, service will be provided to you under the terms of the service agreement. Please refer to that contract for details on how to obtain service. "

44 Posts

January 22nd, 2007 03:00

Dell doesn't support operating systems.  The following excerpt is from Dell's standard terms.

"What is not covered by this limited warranty?

This limited warranty does not cover:

• Software, including the operating system and software added to the Dell-branded hardware products through our factory-integration system, third-party software, or the reloading of software."
No Events found!