Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 16th, 2014 14:00

[Win 7][No-CD] XPS 8500 Re-install OS to SSD

Hi,

I Purchased an XPS 8500 a few years back. It came with a 2TB Hard Drive. I just recently purchased a 120GB SSD. I was wondering if there is a way that I can do a fresh install using my SSD as the C drive. I did not get a windows 7 CD with the computer. I have the SSD running and formatted / Partitioned.

It would be really convenient if I could do it thought factory reset option.

All help appreciate.

4 Posts

March 26th, 2014 14:00

Thanks for the response.

I've been quite busy this last few weeks, so I have not been able to work on this until now.

I followed the guides completely, but I noticed that Microsoft took down a lot of the .iso files. I read that you recommended that I use a X17 download, but those are not available any more so I downloaded the 3 X15 .iso files. "X15-65733.iso", "X15-65805.iso", "X15-65922.iso".

Now when I try to make a bootable USB, I get this error http://i.imgur.com/TrrTFxr.png?1

This happens right after it finishes formatting, as soon as it starts to copy the files. I have tried to format my drive to all different types before running the program, but it just doesn't work.

I also posted this on the page you linked.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 27th, 2014 07:00

Thanks for the response.

I've been quite busy this last few weeks, so I have not been able to work on this until now.

I followed the guides completely, but I noticed that Microsoft took down a lot of the .iso files. I read that you recommended that I use a X17 download, but those are not available any more so I downloaded the 3 X15 .iso files. "X15-65733.iso", "X15-65805.iso", "X15-65922.iso".

Now when I try to make a bootable USB, I get this error 

This happens right after it finishes formatting, as soon as it starts to copy the files. I have tried to format my drive to all different types before running the program, but it just doesn't work.

I also posted this on the page you linked.

There has been a lot of problems with the Digital River server. Check that the .iso files you downloaded are complete downloads. The 3 files should be 3 GB (3,149,108 KB).

4 Posts

March 27th, 2014 12:00

They are all complete files. Just will not copy. Any other ideas?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 27th, 2014 16:00

Gave it a test there. Ensure the .iso is the same size as mine and if it fails again try another USB.

No Events found!