Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2009 13:00

Win 7 upgrade notification

I purchased a laptop in August.  I registered with Dell for the free upgrade.  Since Win 7 has been released now, how long will it be before I receive the notification that I can get my upgrade? 

1 Message

November 7th, 2009 06:00

I have read almost all these posts and I come up with a question. How can you charge taxes on free since tax is figured on the cost. I ordered my free upgrade Oct 29 and have a estimated ship date of Nov 29. Now to me that is a little long. But seeing that all the orders could cause a little backup some where. I will be waiting for them to get around to me. In the mean time I will suffer with Vista. I feel for the people that have put up with this mess called a OS. Before ordering my new Studio XPS 9000 I ran XP and done the beta Win 7. Which is a good system. So I will suffer and wait for my upgrade. Good luck to all of you.

50 Posts

November 7th, 2009 17:00

I have read almost all these posts and I come up with a question. How can you charge taxes on free since tax is figured on the cost. I ordered my free upgrade Oct 29 and have a estimated ship date of Nov 29. Now to me that is a little long. But seeing that all the orders could cause a little backup some where. I will be waiting for them to get around to me. In the mean time I will suffer with Vista. I feel for the people that have put up with this mess called a OS. Before ordering my new Studio XPS 9000 I ran XP and done the beta Win 7. Which is a good system. So I will suffer and wait for my upgrade. Good luck to all of you.

That is actually, a great question! Quite honestly i dont know the answer, id hazard a guess at your paying tax on the shipping charge.

I've encountered some more problems...Dell Datasafe keeps getting a glitch and 'stops working'. I've never used it in the 3 months ive had this computer, is there anyway i can uninstall it? I have no idea what its used for, and if i want to keep my 'data safe' i just put it on my EHD.

36 Posts

November 7th, 2009 23:00

[quote user="wattssr"]

I've encountered some more problems...Dell Datasafe keeps getting a glitch and 'stops working'. I've never used it in the 3 months ive had this computer, is there anyway i can uninstall it? I have no idea what its used for, and if i want to keep my 'data safe' i just put it on my EHD.[/quote]

There's an excellent utility that helps you remove various bloatware such as Dell Datasafe or the Dell Dock called 'Revo Uninstaller' - not only does it uninstall the program like the program's own uninstaller would (or for when a program doesn't even have an uninstaller), but it also scans your registry to get rid of absolutely every last file connected to the program you're uninstalling. I've just used it on Vista to get rid of both Datasafe and Dell Dock to make way for my shortly (rather hopefully) to arrive Windows 7 Upgrade. I'm assuming it works well with Windows 7, too. I heartily recommend it to you. Just make a restore point before you use it....just in case. Not that you'll need it, but it will make you feel safer.

For those following my own saga as regards my elusive Windows 7 upgrade package from Dell, well it seems to have been stuck lying around in UPS's freight holding facility in Louisiana for the past 24 hours. I'm hoping it will start moving again tomorrow or early Monday - I think there is one more airport to go in the states before it sets off for Stansted in the UK - and from there to Manchester. My UPS designated scheduled delivery date was Thursday 12th Nov, but that has disappeared off the tracking info now. Hopefully as it may come sooner. I've truly had enough of waiting now....it is cheesing me off. :emotion-6:

50 Posts

November 8th, 2009 05:00

For those following my own saga as regards my elusive Windows 7 upgrade package from Dell, well it seems to have been stuck lying around in UPS's freight holding facility in Louisiana for the past 24 hours. I'm hoping it will start moving again tomorrow or early Monday - I think there is one more airport to go in the states before it sets off for Stansted in the UK - and from there to Manchester. My UPS designated scheduled delivery date was Thursday 12th Nov, but that has disappeared off the tracking info now. Hopefully as it may come sooner. I've truly had enough of waiting now....it is cheesing me off. :emotion-6:

Dont you mean Louisville lol? If thats the case you have Newark (on the east coast), then it goes across the pond to stansted, then it will go to east midlands airport, and then probably spend the day or night at a depot in manchester.

Louisville to Newark takes 2 hours, and then from Newark to Stansted it says 8:34 am to 8:16 pm, but like i said, i dont know if thats a mix of both local times or just 1 constant local time, i suspect its a mix in which case you would be looking at Newark at 12:34 pm so it takes 8 hours to cross the pond.

36 Posts

November 8th, 2009 09:00

[quote user="slitheen"]

Dont you mean Louisville lol?[/quote]

Yeah, that's the fella! It's all grits and vittles to me. :emotion-1:

4 Posts

November 8th, 2009 21:00

I honestly think that this whole windows 7 "FREE!!!" upgrade is total bs it took me 1 month to register my service tag and now my delivery date has been delayed by 2 Weeks!!!!! has anyone who recieved their upgrade pack done anything special to be leap froged ahead of other more patient users or is it totally random

17 Posts

November 9th, 2009 03:00

Just sent an 8kg package and a 4 kg package via up (sen via whsmiths) 1 to phenix AL(world of warcraft battlechest eu edition) and 1 to ontario CA (2 special edition DvD films) , The 8kg package cost £7.42 inc tax the 4 kg cost £5.94 inc tax

Given theese were both sent from the uk it does bely the fact of where do the charges come from? as we are being charged £15 for a 3kg package , Sorry along with the delays it looks like dell are forcing a profit on the "free" items

(yes im unhappy given dell's hidden charges which breach U.K sales rules by only stating there may be a charge and providing no clear cost)

November 9th, 2009 04:00

It could be at random but I sent a nice professional email to them last Tuesday and the next day I had a shipping date moved up from Nov 15th to the 4th and this past Saturday my discs came and all is well. I live in Pennsylvania USA.

9 Legend

• 

47K Posts

November 9th, 2009 05:00

I got tired of waiting.  Purchased a copy of Vista Ultimate with WIN7 Upgrade Offer.

Purchased the software,  Logged into microsoft and put the offer key in.

Got the Win7 Ultimate Upgrade DVD in the mail within 5 days with no charge.

Currently Office Depot, Staples, Best Buy etc offers the Windows 7 Home Premium Family pack for $150

The Family pack comes with both 32 bit and 64 bit upgrade media that include windows anytime upgrade.

So for $130 more you can upgrade your WIN7 Home Premium to Ultimate online then get your key in the mail immediately.

The Family Pack is limited time offer so I would get one if you can now.

Not sure what the hang up is with the oems.

To buy Vista Ultimate OEM at Microcenter with WIN7 upgrade offer you do need to buy corresponding hardware

but a hard drive counts as that hardware.  You will definitely want a 500 gig or larger drive as the base ultimate install with

patches takes 20 gigs of space.

3 Posts

November 9th, 2009 06:00

I ordered & received Win7 from Dell only to find that my Dell 962 is incompaatible w/ Win 7...can't find any drivers to fix that and can't find any information about if/when drivers will become available. Anybody know anything about that?

7 Posts

November 9th, 2009 06:00

Dell is behaving very unprofessionally!  I am sure this will cost them customers.  I am surprised that they do not explain themselves on this holdup on the free upgrade offer.  My guess is that they laid off so many workers that they do not have the manpower to fill the orders in a timely manner.

This is my first computer purchased from Dell.  I do not plan to buy another from them.

I purchased a Family Pack of Win 7 Home premium.  I used 2 licenses to install it on my two homemade desktop computers.  I upgraded from Windows XP.  Thought I installed Win 7 and kept Win XP as a duel boot, I do not plan to use Win XP.  Win 7 is far more superior operating system!

So I have been using Win 7 since October 23 on my two desktops and therefore not in a hurry to get the free upgrade for the Dell notebook.  I was considering using the third license on the Dell Studio notebook, but I plan to use it only when I travel and I can get by with Vista for a while longer.

Dell is behaving like they want to get out of computer business.

36 Posts

November 9th, 2009 11:00

I honestly think that this whole windows 7 "FREE!!!" upgrade is total bs it took me 1 month to register my service tag and now my delivery date has been delayed by 2 Weeks!!!!! has anyone who recieved their upgrade pack done anything special to be leap froged ahead of other more patient users or is it totally random

Well you're certainly not doing yourself any harm by having a good old moan on this forum, as some of us have found that we 'coincidentally' got a 'shipped' status shortly after complaining here, despite having estimated ship dates some way away. In my case, I got my shipped status about 3 hours later. I suppose it could be a coincidence....but....

My concern now is that it seems well and truly stuck on the UPS side of things. From the tracking info, it moved swiftly from Ontario CA to Louisville KY, but has sat there for coming on 60 hours now. I know it has been the weekend, but it is now about 2:10pm Monday there (7:00pm here in UK), so I would have *thought* that it might have started moving again seeing it got there on Friday night. Further to that, my UPS scheduled delivery date has disappeared altogether from the tracking info page. It was for this Thursday. The way it seems to be moving now, I'd be surprised it arrives by then. Sick to my back teeth of it all really. My PC has been in dire need of a re-install for a couple of weeks, but I've put it off as I would have only had to upgrade to Win7 when it comes....and I don't want to have to go through it twice in a short space of time. So I've put up with the crashes and other issues in the hope they'd get their act together and get me my 'free' upgrade ASAP.

In my case, it is UPS who are the bad guys now. Although Dell still aren't my best friends considering the messing around I had before that. Sigh! :emotion-7:

22 Posts

I have gotten a lot of changed shipping dates also, last date was November 22nd, but then a few days later I got a "shipped" email.  I revived the disk on Saturday.  One thing to note, the tracking info in the email sent me to the UPS tracking site, although the tracking number was a USPS number. So copy and paste the tracking number into google if the link sends you to the wrong carrier.

I haven't had any updated ship date since i last posted, it still shows as 12/04/2009. I am still hoping that it will be shipped well before that date....

Thanks to all who adviced me that i would receive my upgrade kit before the date displayed on dell's site..., Hopefully......

39 Posts

November 9th, 2009 12:00

according to dell win7 site and confirmation email I recieved, my kit was shipped through UPS-SP on november 7, when I saw that I was pleasantly surprised, as I've been following other users experience with the shipment of the upgrade kit, and most are unpleasant. So, my reference number provided by dell is

*removed*

So I check UPS TRACKING SERVICE SAYS MY REFERENCE NUMBER DOESN'T EXIST NEITHER DOES A SHIPMENT RELATED TO IT, they guide me to UPS office in my country, and no luck, their answer is the same.

....edit....

it's like magic, I post this here and my shipment status is immediately updated yay!

No Events found!