Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 15th, 2009 08:00

Win XP Fresh Installation on Latitude d630 issue

Hi, I am having serious issues installing Win XP professional (clean Install) on my Dell Latitude D630 Laptops. I want to prepare an image for ghosting using my volume license. I decided to use a copy of our Microsoft Windows XP Professional Cd instead of the one shipped with our Dell PC so that I can key in my own product key but I continue to receive the error message bellow:

When the installation starts with the cd. Then it says starting windows as soon as the screen goes black, it turns blue again and it says: "A problem has been detected and windows has been shut down to prevent damage to your computer. If this is the first time youve seen this stop message restart your computer, If not, follow these steps: Check to be sure you have adequate disk space. If a driver is identified in the stop message disable the driver or check with the manufacturer for updtes. try changinbg video adapters. Check with your hardware vendors for any bois updates. disable bios memory options such as caching or shadowing. If you need to use safe mode then do so. Thechnical information: *** STOP: 0x0000007E (0xc0000005, 0xf748e0bf, 0xf78da208, 0xf78d9f08) *** pci.sys - address f748E0BF base at f7487000, datesstamp 3b7d855c"

Please your urgent response will be highly appreciated.

Wilfred

282 Posts

February 15th, 2009 21:00

I'm not sure about this but it was my understanding that you need to use the original CD from Microsoft since they had put anti-piracy features into it since I guess they had problems with a lot of bootleg copies.

I'm waiting for a response to my post last night (which already is on about the 4th or 5th page of this topic) in which I got the same first # in the error code although the ones within parentheses were different).  I'm surprised I haven't received any responses yet, although with the new format it seems that less posts show up on each page so even new posts can get bumped back a couple or more pages before anyone sees them.

2.5K Posts

February 15th, 2009 21:00

Is your BIOS set to boot from your CD/DVD drive?

3 Posts

February 16th, 2009 00:00

Hi KathiMR, any replies yet? I am still stuck

3 Posts

February 16th, 2009 00:00

Yes and my bios is revision A08

1.7K Posts

February 17th, 2009 11:00

Have you tried an install using the Dell WinXP Pro CD?  Both should work the same, so I can't think of a problem with what you tried, but it might be worth a try.

The driver list for the D630 running XP, by the way, is:

• Dell™ Notebook System Software
  • Intel® Mobile Chipset Driver
  • Mobile Intel® GMA X3100 Video Controller
  • NVIDIA® Quadro® NVS 135M Video Controller
  • O2Micro® Cardbus/Smart Card Controller
  • Fingerprint Reader Driver
  • Broadcom® NetXtreme™ 5755 Gigabit Integrated Network Controller
  • Wireless driver (if applicable)
  • IDT® STAC 9205 Audio Driver
  • MDC driver (modem)
  • Dell Touch Pad Driver
  • Bluetooth® driver and stack
  • SOL/LMS Driver (D630c Only)
  • HECI Driver (D630c Only)

Hopefully this list will help prevent other problems once you get the Stop Error straightened out.

No Events found!