Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 28th, 2012 04:00

Win7 HD to XPS PC

Hello, I'm new on here so applogies if this is the wrong way to go about things.

I have just purchased a new XPS 8500 i7 with windows 8 etc.

My current pc is a Dell Dimension 9150 currently running Win 7 off a second HD, my question is, can I take the hard drive from this machine and install into the XPS in the spare drive bay. Reason I ask is I've been using win 7 and would prefer that to win 8, plus of course I wouldn't have to reinstall everything.

Look forward to any reply.

Thanks,

Phil

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 28th, 2012 07:00

First what type of license is your Windows 7, OEM (preinstalled on the machine) or upgrade or retail?

You cannot transfer an OEM license for one PC to another.

Also merely swapping the hard drive is unlikely to work very well as the 2 systems will have very different system drivers. Windows 7 is unlikely to boot.

Also some BIOS settings must be changed to accomodate Windows 7 on this model.

Performance wise it will be much easier to perform A Clean Install. See my wiki Windows Reinstallation Guide:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/3524/t/19480753.aspx

December 28th, 2012 04:00

Hi philjs57,

You may use the Dimension hard drive on the XPS system. However, if you want to boot using  Windows 7 you will need to connect the Dimension hard drive as the master hard drive and the one that is already in the XPS system as the slave. So you can take out the hard drive that came with the XPS and replace it with the old one, and use the new hard drive with Windows 8 on the spare slot.

Please check the manuals to replace the hard drives.

http://support.dell.com/support/edocs/systems/xps8500/en/om/om_en.pdf

Note: Changing the operating system is not supported by Dell's warranty, if there are any issues with the software or operating system it wont be covered under the warranty. However, the hardware will still be covered under the warranty.

Hope this helps. Do reply for any further questions.

3 Posts

December 28th, 2012 05:00

Hello and thank you for the quick reply.

My PC has two drives, set up as dual boot for XP or Win 7, would like to do the same on the new one, that way best of both worlds.

Your info helps alot, got that pdf so will have a good look through before the delivery hopefully on Monday.

Regards,

Phil

3 Posts

December 28th, 2012 08:00

Hello Philip,

I have Windows 7 Home Premium retail which I purchased in 2010, rather than upgrade just got another hard drive and did a clean install.

Perhaps the best way would be just to get another HD and do a clean install.

Thank you for the links, I will look through them over next few days.

Regards,

Phil

No Events found!