Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 19th, 2006 15:00

Window Installer Problems

I have a Dell Dimension 8250 running Windows XP Pro V5.1.2600 SP2 Build 2600. First noticed problem yesterday when my Outlook 2002 would not open, all I get is a blank screen. A "Windows Installer" error popped up: "The installation source for this product is not available. Verify that the source exists and that you can access it." (I don't even know what this means.) Upon trying to open again (as prompted) in Safe Mode....it just won't work and the screen remains a white blank.

Upon further checking, I do have the Window installer (msi.dll) version 3.1.4000.2435 which is version 2, which I installed via the Microsoft website.

I've tried to reinstall Outlook via my Office XP disks that came with my system, but I get the same error as above.

When I open up the Access 2002 program, and try to open sample database, I get error: "MS Access can't open the sample database. This feature is not currently installed. Would you like to install now?" When I click on Yes, I see a VERY brief install window but then it's gone. And the same error message as in Para. 1, appears. The "Fix and Repair" function doesn't work either.

I no longer receive my Windows Updates for the same reason. Something really got messed up and I don't know what or how to fix it.

Please help!! How do I fix this?
Diane

5 Posts

Thanks. I will give it a try. Will I then be able to reinstall my programs from the original CD's that came with my Dell and then get the updates via Microsoft?

As it is now, I cannot install anything from the CD's without getting that original error.

5 Posts

Ok, I installed the Windows Installer Cleanup Utility. I ran the program and saw a rather long list of items. Nothing referred to Access 2002, and the only item that had anything to do with Outlook was Outlook with MSN connectors. I just exited the program because I don't have a clue as to what to do with this utility.

Where can I get help on this problem? How do I reinstall my Office XP if its unable to access the  windows installer and I constantly receive a Windows Installer error?

I am clueless now as to what to do. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Diane

18.8K Posts

DiRonD,

See if this helps.

18.8K Posts

May 19th, 2006 21:00

DiRonD,

See if anything in the "Accepted answer" in this thread is any help. If not, try posting your question in the Software - MS Office/Works conference.

(Copy the answer the first time you visit. Return visits to that site on the same day will not display the answers unless you subscribe to their service.)

Message Edited by Denny Denham on 05-19-200603:53 PM

4.4K Posts

May 20th, 2006 17:00

As Outlook is part of Office, the entries in Windows installer cleanup utility you should look for are those that mention Office. highlight them, click remove.  What this does is to remove the uninstall/install information from the registry, which allows a reinstall to proceed. Then reinstall from your CDs. You will then need to go to Office Update or Microsoft Upfdate to get the any service packs and security updates.

I had to do this a few times recently, for the reasons in

No Events found!