Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 10th, 2010 12:00

Window Update created a STOP Error 0x0000007E...cannot boot.

My Windows auto Update ran last night and said it needed to reboot....When it rebooted I now have a BSOD with a STOP error.

Error code is as follows Stop 0x0000007E (0xC0000005, 0x7D7FBB28, 0xF789E3E4, 0xF789E0E0) 

I cannot go to Last Good Installation...

I cannot enter Safe Mode...

I would "Like" to restore to a prior restore point.

I don't have a bootable install disk....

I can download and burn CD's from another PC if needed..

Any help would be appreciated.... (Running Windows XP Media Center)

February 11th, 2010 08:00

That's great news! I am going to pick up my XP copy this Sunday and will try if your solution works, but when I read the other comments it shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks in advance for all your help!

February 11th, 2010 09:00

after I type the command after the C:\Windows prompt it tells me the system cannot find the file or the directory specified

Help

You may not have that particular update that I used as an example installed.  Read my post about finding which updates were installed in the last 24 hours.  When you first get the C:\windows prompt, type DIR $* and look at the updates with dates of 2/10 or 2/11.  Those are the suspect updates. Write their KB#s down and use that as your starting point.  In my case, I narrowed it down to three possible updates but I'm not 100% sure which one it was.  If KB977165 is not present, try KB977914, and then KB978037.

1 Message

February 11th, 2010 12:00

You are a star!  Thanks for the clear directions--it worked perfectly.

February 11th, 2010 14:00

I also experienced the Windows Update.. upon restarting my computer I received the screen giving the option to start in safe mode and last good installation--none worked for me either. I unplugged the computer and removed anything plugged into my computer (printer, USBs, etc.) I've been googling this issue for a few hours now, and every solution I've found involves using a System Recovery CD.

My problem is, I'm 1. not sure I'm using the correct CD...The CD I have is a Reinstallation CD for Windows XP. I don't believe my computer came with any other CDs.. and 2. When I put the CD into the computer, its as if the computer does not even register that I have done so. I remain on the blue screen it seems no matter what I try and do.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me figure out a way to start my computer without a recovery CD and without losing everything on my computer.

Also I don't know if this makes any difference but when i DO choose to enter safe mode, instead of the blue screen appearing I get a list of drivers that takes up the entire screen. Unfortunately it just sticks on this screen and I'm forced to restart.

Press F12 (assuming you have a Dell) as soon as you see the initial boot screen.  This should give you the boot menu and you can choose to boot from the CD/DVD drive.  If F12 doesn't work, post your model of PC and I can help.  The Windows XP installation disc is the correct one.

I also experienced the Windows Update.. upon restarting my computer I received the screen giving the option to start in safe mode and last good installation--none worked for me either. I unplugged the computer and removed anything plugged into my computer (printer, USBs, etc.) I've been googling this issue for a few hours now, and every solution I've found involves using a System Recovery CD.

My problem is, I'm 1. not sure I'm using the correct CD...The CD I have is a Reinstallation CD for Windows XP. I don't believe my computer came with any other CDs.. and 2. When I put the CD into the computer, its as if the computer does not even register that I have done so. I remain on the blue screen it seems no matter what I try and do.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could help me figure out a way to start my computer without a recovery CD and without losing everything on my computer.

Also I don't know if this makes any difference but when i DO choose to enter safe mode, instead of the blue screen appearing I get a list of drivers that takes up the entire screen. Unfortunately it just sticks on this screen and I'm forced to restart.

4 Posts

Thanks guys, I'll try this solution too. I have 2 Optiplex 170L's that Blue-Screen with a Stop 0x0...50 ever since Patch Tuesday updates were applied.

Thanks again.

Scott in CA

4 Posts

February 11th, 2010 15:00

I am having the same problems and errors.  By the hardest I am trying to follow your directions.  I did manage to get to the recovery page but I dont know what to do now.  It wont let me type that "CD $NtUninstall  at the prompt.  It only lets me type one letter.  I cant move around the screen.  I am pretty unexperienced here but if you can help I would appreciate it.

Thanks

Melody

Apparently, I have NO idea what the admin password is... am i out of luck?

EDIT: Wow nevermind I got confused. Followed your instructions for KB977165 only and computer rebooted--finally! thank you soooo much!

195 Posts

Review the information posted at this Web Site. The information mirrors information given in a previous post.

http://www.winvistatips.com/warning-kb977165-can-may-cause-bsods-some-windows-xp-users-t813004.html

I must learn to type faster.

3 Posts

February 11th, 2010 16:00

My admin password was blank...just hit Enter and see if it works..?

3 Posts

Thanks for you help.

It typed it exactly and it is working now.  (Microsoft auto-Updates will now stay turned off!!)

The only thing different was after the recovery console I had to type in the number 1 to identify where my windows system files were located. 

After the number 1 it was exactly like your instructions.

I wonder what the update was trying to fix??:emotion-18:

4 Posts

HI

I got the blue screen with the stop error 0x0000007E  (OX00001D, OX80537008, OXBA4C33B8, OXBA4C30B4).

I have the disk and followed your directions and can get to the C prompt but when I type the command you said in the post its asking for an administator password.  Its only typing asterisks.

Melody

4 Posts

February 11th, 2010 17:00

What should I type at the C prompt? I tried the command you gave earlier in your post and tried DIR$* .  It tells me this command is not recognized and gives me the C prompt again.  What am I missing?  I so need to get this fixed.  Thanks!!!

Melody

4 Posts

February 11th, 2010 18:00

THANKS!!!!!! I finally got it to work.  Now Im afraid to turn it off!:emotion-2:

No Events found!