Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 24th, 2015 05:00

Windows 10 has killed my Dell Inspiron 14z Ultrabook - Help!

Against better judgement, I allowed my 14z to install W10. It performed like a dog, but worked OK. However Office 10 was unusably slow, possibly because I was running a 32-bit version. My troubles really began when I tried to uninstall Office. First W10 wouldn't reboot on restart. I tried to run the recovery disk from my initial installation of W8, but this crashed with a disk error. I ran full diagnostics, including disk partitions, which were all fine. On reboot, it failed - I just get beeping after about 20 seconds. I have repeatedly tried to restart holding the F12 key but it just doesn't activate. Same with the F2 key for set up. It just will not go into a boot sequence or access the BIOS. Lights are flashing and Disks are whirring, but I just get the beeping starting up after about 20 seconds.

How can I break in? My Ultrabook is only 2 years old and I cant afford a new one!

December 24th, 2015 06:00

Hi Philip. Thanks for engaging! Its a Inspiron 14z 5423

I didn't update the Bios - I did not know you needed to and also because W10 auto-installed overnight.

No I didn't make a USB - I thought the DVD recovery would be fine.

Am trying to hold the power button, but it just powers down again....

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 24th, 2015 06:00

Its on a standby state. You need to hold down the power button for a good 30-60 seconds.

What exact model is this 14z and did you update the UEFI BIOS before the Windows 10 TH2 upgrade? Also did you make a Dell Backup and Recovery Bootable USB?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 24th, 2015 13:00

Okay hold the power button and wait for the system to power down. You shouldn't hear any fan etc. Remove the AC power. Then since the memory modules are the easiest thing to get to in this system remove them. Follow the instructions in the Owner's manual: 

http://ftp.dell.com/Manuals/all-products/esuprt_laptop/esuprt_inspiron_laptop/inspiron-14z-5423_owner%27s%20manual_en-us.pdf 

Power on the system without the memory modules installed this should flush the system away from the erroneous Windows 10 standby state. Then power it off. Then power it on again do you see the Dell BIOS screen or get some beeping/error messages on screen.

If so power off the system and reinsert the memory modules. Then try powering on again.

December 24th, 2015 14:00

Thanks I'll give it a whirl after Xmas - family time...

December 27th, 2015 12:00

Hi Philip,

I followed your instructions to a T, but alas, I still have the exact same symptoms. I note that when I power on, the hard drive barely starts up, and then goes quiet after just a couple of seconds. Then 10 seconds later I just get "beep beep beep".

Any other ideas?

Thanks!

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

December 28th, 2015 16:00

Okay try removing the hard drive also.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

Also (not in English unfortunately) but see here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BThpfrNRzFE

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

Also the CMOS (coin cell) battery. Look at this thread also:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/f/4997/t/19644019?pi41074=9

January 3rd, 2016 10:00

Hi Philip,

well after several times disassembling the PC to disconnect the CMOS, and reassembling, I am no further. I have been able to get the SETUP dialogue and boot a couple of times, and once I got logged in to W10, where I immediately went to the DELL support pages to download a new BIOS. But it told me I already had the most up to date BIOS. The only update it detected was to the Intel chipset, which I installed successfully. I was able to use W10 and install Office and Outlook successfully, but when I tried to go into sleep mode, it crashed and went back to square 1. since then when I have got as far as a W10 logon, it crashes with the message "Windows has detected an error and needs to restart". I then get an error code: KERNEL-AUTO-BOOST-LOCK-WITH-RAISED-IRQL"

This cycles a few times then I get a black screen, and have to start the whole strip down/CMOS disconnect cycle all over again. I have tried booting from my original W8 recovery DVD, but is not working - maybe I have the wrong BOOT settings? I have UEFI - do I need legacy mode?

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 3rd, 2016 16:00

When you get it powered back up...

Right click the start button → Power Options → Choose what the Power Buttons do (menu to the left) → Change Settings that are currently unavailable (top) → Disable Fast start-up.

A DVD won't boot in UEFI with SecureBoot use a USB Flash Drive that's FAT32 formatted.

January 10th, 2016 14:00

Hi Philip, I just thought I'd give you an update. Since you wrote, I have tried about a dozen times but even when I can get it to boot (about one time in 5 after removing the motherboard to disconnect the CMOS)  the system is too unstable and crashed before I can login and get to the Start button. I did manage to get it to roll back to the restore point from 22 December, but this is still after W10 installed itself, and so it still crashes.

I am between a rock and a hard place. I have a 25% discount voucher for a new Dell laptop which expires tomorrow, but I hate the idea of giving Microsoft any more of my money. They are an absolute disgrace, Tax on Windows, Tax on Office, and then they wreck a perfectly good machine. I have been on many bulletin boards and I know that I am not alone. Many thousands of people have had their systems wrecked by W10 and there is a growing clamor for compensation.

On the other hand a MAC is about twice the price, and I just cant afford it. (In the UK it is about  $1100 for an entry level Macbook)

Anyway, that is my tale of woe, I am not sure you can help me anymore, but I really appreciate tour support, you have been great.

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

January 10th, 2016 17:00

Microsoft and you wrecked a perfectly good machine.

You allowed Windows 10 to be installed. It would not have happened if you had not allowed it to happen.

I absolutely refuse to allow Windows 10 to be installed on my Optiplex 3020. And without my actions, it cannot be installed.

In the end, the blame lies entirely in your court.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

January 11th, 2016 00:00

When you can get the system to power. Can you access the Dell UEFI BIOS setup? F2 on power up. Does it crash at the Dell BIOS screen if left idle? Can you get the Dell F12 Preboot diagnostics to run?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDpvQ3qwy1c

If you can get the diagnostics to run and pass then it may be worth trying to Download Windows 8.1 on another computer, make a Bootable USB and then Clean Install Windows 8.1:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

Since you are in the UK its likely the Windows 8.1 Edition is Windows 8.1 and not Windows 8.1 Single Language.

If you are feeling like you need to get a new system you might want to just get an entry level Inspiron:

http://www.dell.com/uk/p/inspiron-15-5559-laptop/pd?ref=PD_Family

I've little experience with Macs as I never felt the justification to spend 2-3 times for lesser hardware. Similar with Microsoft Surface systems. Both have advantages in that the OS and system are made by the same company. However the advantages of buying hardware in Microsoft's case aren't as great as one would assume. The Surface and Surface 2 ran Windows RT for instance, in fact you could say these devices were Microsoft's desperate attempt to push RT which epicly failed. This "Windows" OS was a flop and is not continued with Windows 10. The newer Surface devices run Windows 10 but are too difficult to get to the SSD for replacement. Going with Dell the XPS 13 is meant to be one of the best systems out there but is still quite pricy and comparable in price with the MacBook (although better hardware).

Regarding Office if you have an Office 365 subscription you can install it on up to 5 systems. This makes getting OEM Office from Dell usually not as worthwhile as the Retail subscription.

January 11th, 2016 08:00

Thanks Philip. I'll give it a whirl. I need to go and buy an 8G USB. Meanwhile I have forked out $800 on a new Inspiron, So I may end up with a laptop surplus to requirements, if I ever get it working......

January 11th, 2016 08:00

Believe me I had no intention to install W10. I did download the install file, because I hoped that would stop the pop-ups, and I intended to check the Dell support pages to be sure it was supported before executing. I am Tech savvy - more than 25 years in IT actually. Unfortunately it got worse, a message came up after a few days saying it would automatically install at a certain time unless you decline. Also,  my wife is not tech savvy, why should she be? 95% of consumers have no idea, they have to trust the Brand to provide a reliable service. Anyway she inadvertently accepted the install. This is a consumer product that should not require customers to wade through tech bulletin boards first to be sure they are safe. Especially when they are being offered a "free" upgrade with the dual threat that later in the year it will be chargeable, and that their current version will in due course become unsupported! Microsoft has shown that their Brand is not trustworthy, and they need to take some serious action to re-mediate this situation. Look at what is happening to the VW Brand with the emissions scandal!

No Events found!