Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 5th, 2009 09:00

Windows 7 32 bit to 64 bit

I need help identifying and correcting what I believe is driver problems.  First, I have a Dell 1735 laptop that had the Vista 32 bit OS.  I upgraded to Windows 7, 32 bit system then discovered the computer was 64 bit capable. After much trouble, and helpful advice from this forum, I was able to change the boot sequence in BIOS to boot up on the cd/dvd drive to download from the 64 bit disc. I did a clean install with the 64 bit OS disc which formatted the hard drive.  Afterwards, the Bluetooth mouse, fingerprint reader, Dell webcam,  the button on left side of computer that brings up the status of the wireless network, and none  the Dell factory installed software (expected this one) worked.  I used my reinstall disc’s to install most of the software, however none of the drivers worked.   After much searching and not finding any downloads at Dell that would correct my problems I remembered my granddaughter had a computer just like this one except hers came with the Vista 64 bit OS.  I borrowed her reinstall disc’s and got everything working except the fingerprint reader (her disc was for 32 bit, don’t know how that happened) and one issue that still shows up in the Device Manager.  It is in “other devices” as “Base System Devices”.  I don’t know what it is except when I deleted it from the Device Manager it flagged the speaker device on the task bar and reinstalled it. On the fingerprint reader, I found one download at Dell that apparently was the correct software but it still doesn’t work, however,  it no longer shows up in the Device Manager as a problem .

I am seeking help with these two issues.   

14.4K Posts

For the base system issue try THIS driver.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 7th, 2009 16:00

Bill,

The more I was typing, the more I think I just used the second solution, but I left the first part here if it's needed. (I have a Studio 1737 went from Vista 32-bit to Vista 64-bit and then replaces the Vista 32-bit with Windows 7 64-bit and seperate partition.)

Try this first.

Insert the Fingerprint Reader disk and stop it from running.

Start, computer and right click on the CD/DVD Rom with the disk in it, left click explore. Look for an setup.exe Right clcik on it, then left click properties, compatibility. From the drop down menu select Vista SP2.

Now right click on the setup.exe, left click run as administrator and see if it installs.When it's done installing, you'll need to restart your computer and the register your fingerprints, again.

Second Solution

If by chance that does not work, then download Authentec AES2810 <ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell> and double click on it. See if it installs first. If not, then try the Vista SP2 compatibility mode on it. You will get through Windows Update an updated driver for it, if my memory serves me correctly. So after you install and restart, then register your fingerprints.

Go to Windows Updates then and see if there is an update for it.

Let me know how you make out.

Rick

55 Posts

Dave, that worked!  Thank you very much.  Now if I can get the fingerprint reader to work I will be back at 100%.  This is not a big problem for me because I don't and have never used it.

14.4K Posts

December 5th, 2009 10:00

You are welcome. Glad to have helped.

As to the fingerprint reader there may be additional software that is needed. Did you reinstall Quickset..

Also you might want to go HERE and see if there is additional software

Just some thoughts

55 Posts

December 7th, 2009 12:00

Yes,I  think I have Quickset.  I can open a program called Quickset and I assume it ts what you are referring to.  When I go to Dell Downloads and try to register my system it just churns away and never reaches a result.   

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 7th, 2009 13:00

Legirons,

Did you ever get your fingerprint reader to work? I cannot remember but I think I installed the fingerprint reader using the disk that came with the system. Yes, the disk should install it and you'll have to restart the computer after that. If that by chance does not work, let me know. I might have a driver for you to try.

Rick

55 Posts

December 7th, 2009 15:00

Rick,

Not working yet.  The disc I have is for 32 bit and the one I borrowed from my granddaughter is for 32 bit even though her system is 64.  When I try installing from these two disc it lells me I should use the 64 bit installation package.  What I have on the computer now is software I downloaded form Dell but it apparently does not have everthing needed to make the fingerprint reader work.

Bill     

55 Posts

December 8th, 2009 12:00

I tried option two and still didn’t work.  Seems to me it should be downloading drivers for 64-bit and it is not, see data below.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 8th, 2009 13:00

Legirons,

I just switched to Windows 7 and that's what I have installed with my Windows 7 64-bit system. I see you checked this thread that you have a verified answer, so did the fingerprint reader install?

Rick

55 Posts

December 8th, 2009 14:00

Still doesn't work, did not intend to check that I had a verified answer.  How do check that? 

Bill

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 9th, 2009 01:00

Bill,

Might be a button that says not verified answer.

Did you try using the disk and just try installing the fingerprint reader software? Install it anyway and I think after you restart, it should work and then maybe a Windows Update. I have the same version of drivers installed as you posted.

Since the drivers are now there, what happens if you right click on it in device manager and try updating the drivers?

Did you consider uninstalling it and restart your computer. Since the drivers are there, the new hardware wizard should startup and install the drivers for the new hardware for your fingerprint reader.

Rick

55 Posts

December 9th, 2009 07:00

The fingerprint reader is now working.  I used the install disc and selected the option to open the folders on the disc.  I found a folder for 64-bit and used the setup function in this folder to install the software.  After rebooting the computer, my software manager directed me to download a number of drivers.  I am not sure how all this happened however, it worked.  Thanks for all the help.  Never dreamed how much work would be involved in formatting the hard drive and changing from 32-bit to 64-bit.   After it is all over (I hope) it was a fun challenge for a novice computer person like me.

Bill

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

December 9th, 2009 10:00

Bill,

I knew I installed mine but couldn't remember how. Glad you got it working :emotion-21: Thanks for posting back.

Take care,

Rick

No Events found!