Re: Windows 7 Beta 1

Jump to solution

RobinBredin,

You said

HI All, Microsoft have also said there will be no free copy to beta testers. The beta copy will remain active until 1st August.

So if there's no FREE copy to beta testers, then the operating system will become disabled, like having an operating system that was priated, correct? Then you would almost have to go and re-install your old operating system, drivers and all, again.

Is it really worth it?

Rick

#DellRockstar

What is a Dell Service Tag and how do I locate it? 

Original poster, If you have solved your problem, can you please mark the correct thread(s) with your solution. Thanks 

Welcome to Dell Community!

#DellWorld 2012

#DellWorld 2015

#DellEMCWorld 2016

#MicrosoftMVP - Windows Expert-Consumer April 1, 2012 to March 31, 2015

0 Kudos
eskymi
3 Cadmium

Jump to solution

If you are tech saavy, or have 6 pcs like me and are willing to use one of them as a test machine, it might be worth it.

But truly, I can wait.  I had XP until I restocked my pcs and they had VISTA.  4 years from now or so when I restock, they'll have W7.  I can wait.

The new OS doesn't exactly thrill me as I haven't had any issues with VISTA, so I see no reason to jump on the W7 bandwagon.  But I hope it succeeds.  I think it will as there will be many who will swear that it's 100times better than VISTA (no matter what it is like) just to prove a point.

2  XPS 420's, Quad 2.4ghz, 8800GT and 9800GTX, 3gigs RAM (Vista Home)

2 Inspiron 1720's, 2.0 and 2.5 gig processors, 2 and 4 gigs RAM, 8400GM and 8600GT cards (Vista Home and Ultimate)

1 E1705, 2.0 processor, 2 gigs RAM 7900GS. (Vista Home)

2 Mini 9's, Black and Cherry Red......(Windows XP) Love The Mini!!!!!

0 Kudos
Davet50
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

If you are tech saavy, or have 6 pcs like me and are willing to use one of them as a test machine, it might be worth it.

But truly, I can wait.  I had XP until I restocked my pcs and they had VISTA.  4 years from now or so when I restock, they'll have W7.  I can wait.

The new OS doesn't exactly thrill me as I haven't had any issues with VISTA, so I see no reason to jump on the W7 bandwagon.  But I hope it succeeds.  I think it will as there will be many who will swear that it's 100times better than VISTA (no matter what it is like) just to prove a point.

Try it you will ditch XP and vista in a heart beat. This is the best OS from M$ ever. I can hardly wait for it to hit the streets. Win 7 is fast, fast, and oh did i mention fast?

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
RobinBredin
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

Hi Rick, Thats what their saying

The Windows 7 Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009.

To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date. See Installing the Windows 7 Beta. More info can be found HERE.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

Highlighted
pcgeek11
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Well the gloom and doomers can say whatever they like about Windows 7... However I have been running Pre-Beta build #6801 64 bit for over a month on my Inspiron 1501 with no problems whatsoever, None. I installed the 7000 build beta this morning and have the same results; all hardware was detected drivers installed and I am posting now from Win 7. Vista should have been this easy.

I am not recommending that every user should give it a go, but if you know what you are doing I would say it is fine. Really fine!

pcgeek11

0 Kudos
pcgeek11
4 Tellurium

Jump to solution

Microsoft is not generating unique installation keys for every beta customer either as they did in Vista.

So if you would like an installation key without the hassle of going through your "Windows Live Account" here are the ones that are public and unlimited for the beta 7000 build testing period:

Evaluation Version Expires 7/1/2009

D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9
6JKV2-QPB8H-RQ893-FW7TM-PBJ73
RFFTV-J6K7W-MHBQJ-XYMMJ-Q8DCH
4HJRK-X6Q28-HWRFY-WDYHJ-K8HDH
7XRCQ-RPY28-YY9P8-R6HD8-84GH3
JYDV8-H8VXG-74RPT-6BJPB-X42V4
482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M
TQ32R-WFBDM-GFHD2-QGVMH-3P9GC
GG4MQ-MGK72-HVXFW-KHCRF-KW6KY
QXV7B-K78W2-QGPR6-9FWH9-KGMM7

They work for 64 or 32 bitness.

pcgeek11

0 Kudos
RobinBredin
4 Ruthenium

Jump to solution

I think the thing that would put a lot of people off, is the fact that you will have to reinstall your old Operating System. With Windows 7 sitting at build 7000, then there cant be a lot more beta versions to go out. With Vista, it was sitting at build 6000 or 6001, when it stopped.

If my answer Was helpful?  Please let me know by clicking on the 'Did this answer your question' and clicking on the Yes button.  Thanks.

Davet50
5 Iridium

Jump to solution

I'm running mine on dual drives, just the way I plan on doing it with the final release. It is not wise to load the beta on a seperat partition on the main drive. I will be going with x64 so that will require a clean install anyway. I never had to worry about a previous version when I loaded my Vista x64 either

Home Built Sandy Bridge P8P67 i7 2600k @ 4.5 GHz 8gigs GSkill Ripjaws. Corsair 800D Case and AX1200 Ps X-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty pro PCIe Sound Card
Dell Studio XPS 1645  Window 10 Pro

Forum member since 2003

0 Kudos
dishinit
1 Copper

Jump to solution

For anyone who has trouble with Win 7 Beta 64 loading the correct driver for the SMBus Controller on a Dell Inspiron Q6600, see this fix:

After hunting all over the Internet and Intel sites,
I found a fix for the G33 Chipset SMBus Controller driver which would not install in your Win 7 Beta 64 on my Dell Inspiron 530 Quad 6600, 4GB ram/Foxcom G33/Intel ICH9 Dell Motherboard.
You can install the Beta Intel  9.1.1.1004 Beta Windows Server 2003(32/64)/2000/Vista(32/64)/XP” software driver found here:
hxxp://www.driversdown.com/ViewDownloadUrl.asp?ID=108115&brNum=3&show=0

(substitute tt for xx in hxxp)

SMBus Controller is now recognized!

Your welcome

0 Kudos
Darrel112
2 Iron

Jump to solution

I installed Windows7 this past weekend on my Inspiron 1501. So far works great. Faster then Vista, boots much faster too. The video driver from Dell would not install, so I downloaded it from ATI works great. The only problem I've encounter so far is with QuickSet. When I increase or decrease the audio volume it does not display the little blue thing the shows the change in volume.

0 Kudos