Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 12th, 2008 04:00

Windows 7 Beta 1

Hi All, Found this link to Intel, who say that Windows 7 beta 1 is due out on the 13th January 2009. With microsoft bringing this beta so early and talk that it will be a short beta, we could be looking at an summer release of Windows 7.  CLICK ON THIS. :emotion-5:

3.7K Posts

January 11th, 2009 03:00

Hi Rick, Thats what their saying

The Windows 7 Beta will stop working on August 1, 2009.

To continue using your PC, please be prepared to reinstall a prior version of Windows or a subsequent release of Windows 7 before the expiration date. See Installing the Windows 7 Beta. More info can be found HERE.

3.7K Posts

January 11th, 2009 12:00

I think the thing that would put a lot of people off, is the fact that you will have to reinstall your old Operating System. With Windows 7 sitting at build 7000, then there cant be a lot more beta versions to go out. With Vista, it was sitting at build 6000 or 6001, when it stopped.

14.4K Posts

December 12th, 2008 08:00

Great another rush to market half finshed OS that will need tons of patching. IMHO they should not rush this out and make sure it is Ready for Prime Time before it is released.

I am  looking forward to Win 7 but want a finished product

3.6K Posts

December 12th, 2008 11:00

That's o.k.,i won't be buying it.I have no problems with vista,in fact it's the best OS they have put out.As far as i am concerned,they can keep Windows 7.

January 10th, 2009 09:00

Just installed Win7 (beta) on my 2 yr old Inspiron E1505 (6400). Runs very well for a C2D/1GB/ATi x1300. Actually it is faster than Win Vista. Definately a Thumbs Up. Just hope the final release is a soild OS and it will require much less patching afterwards (except for regular SP).

3.7K Posts

Hi All, Windows 7 beta was released on the 9th, see HERE. However, Microsoft claim, The volume has been phenomenal -- we’re in the process of adding more servers to handle the demand. We’re sorry for the delay and we’ll re-post the Beta as soon as we can ensure a quality download experience.  If you really want it :emotion-16: keep an eye on that link. 

4 Posts

I just received the official Windows 7 beta (build 7000) from Microsoft.

It appears very solid, and works well on the Latitude e6500.

Except for the fact that there are no drivers for the display, and the wireless won't work. I tried loading the Dell Vista drivers, but they don't like the OS, and won't load. Usually, the drivers work with up-level OSs, but Dell's done something to the packaging.

We need help from Dell on this!

1.1K Posts

January 10th, 2009 10:00

I saw the CEO MS talking about Windows 7 and it's Beta availability for those who are interested to do the down load from 9th Jan 2008.

Take for an example - one does the Windows 7 Beta down load. Now when the proper Windows 7 become available will this downloaded Beta be upgraded with updates and allowed to keep on without a need for a COA? In other words the present Windows Vista OS COA will be recognised for the newly released OS.

If I put it simply - Is a present Windows OS owner  eligible for a free Windows 7 OS  with an existing COA?

snow

14.4K Posts

January 10th, 2009 11:00

Try loading them in Vista compatibility mode. That's how I get my sound to at least work.  It will be a long time before Dell will release new drivers. It won't happen until sometime after the OS is officially released.

14.4K Posts

I saw the CEO MS talking about Windows 7 and it's Beta availability for those who are interested to do the down load from 9th Jan 2008.

Take for an example - one does the Windows 7 Beta down load. Now when the proper Windows 7 become available will this downloaded Beta be upgraded with updates and allowed to keep on without a need for a COA? In other words the present Windows Vista OS COA will be recognised for the newly released OS.

If I put it simply - Is a present Windows OS owner  eligible for a free Windows 7 OS  with an existing COA?

snow

The answer to your question is no on both accounts.

You will need to uninstall the beta when the retail is released. And you will need a new Disk and COA.

3.7K Posts

HI All, Microsoft have also said there will be no free copy to beta testers. The beta copy will remain active until 1st August. Also, if this beta goes the same way vista did, ie Vista RTM was released in January, but the beta version remained active until May. Then we could see Windows 7 RTM in April/May, microsoft have always said that the beta of Windows 7 will be a short one.

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

January 10th, 2009 15:00

RobinBredin,

You said

HI All, Microsoft have also said there will be no free copy to beta testers. The beta copy will remain active until 1st August.

So if there's no FREE copy to beta testers, then the operating system will become disabled, like having an operating system that was priated, correct? Then you would almost have to go and re-install your old operating system, drivers and all, again.

Is it really worth it?

Rick

1.1K Posts

January 10th, 2009 16:00

If you are tech saavy, or have 6 pcs like me and are willing to use one of them as a test machine, it might be worth it.

But truly, I can wait.  I had XP until I restocked my pcs and they had VISTA.  4 years from now or so when I restock, they'll have W7.  I can wait.

The new OS doesn't exactly thrill me as I haven't had any issues with VISTA, so I see no reason to jump on the W7 bandwagon.  But I hope it succeeds.  I think it will as there will be many who will swear that it's 100times better than VISTA (no matter what it is like) just to prove a point.

14.4K Posts

January 10th, 2009 17:00

If you are tech saavy, or have 6 pcs like me and are willing to use one of them as a test machine, it might be worth it.

But truly, I can wait.  I had XP until I restocked my pcs and they had VISTA.  4 years from now or so when I restock, they'll have W7.  I can wait.

The new OS doesn't exactly thrill me as I haven't had any issues with VISTA, so I see no reason to jump on the W7 bandwagon.  But I hope it succeeds.  I think it will as there will be many who will swear that it's 100times better than VISTA (no matter what it is like) just to prove a point.

Try it you will ditch XP and vista in a heart beat. This is the best OS from M$ ever. I can hardly wait for it to hit the streets. Win 7 is fast, fast, and oh did i mention fast?

1.9K Posts

January 11th, 2009 10:00

Microsoft is not generating unique installation keys for every beta customer either as they did in Vista.

So if you would like an installation key without the hassle of going through your "Windows Live Account" here are the ones that are public and unlimited for the beta 7000 build testing period:

Evaluation Version Expires 7/1/2009

D9RHV-JG8XC-C77H2-3YF6D-RYRJ9
6JKV2-QPB8H-RQ893-FW7TM-PBJ73
RFFTV-J6K7W-MHBQJ-XYMMJ-Q8DCH
4HJRK-X6Q28-HWRFY-WDYHJ-K8HDH
7XRCQ-RPY28-YY9P8-R6HD8-84GH3
JYDV8-H8VXG-74RPT-6BJPB-X42V4
482XP-6J9WR-4JXT3-VBPP6-FQF4M
TQ32R-WFBDM-GFHD2-QGVMH-3P9GC
GG4MQ-MGK72-HVXFW-KHCRF-KW6KY
QXV7B-K78W2-QGPR6-9FWH9-KGMM7

They work for 64 or 32 bitness.