Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 21st, 2011 18:00

Windows 7 Explorer Not Refreshing - Microsoft has sent me here

Well-known and well-documented problem. Windows explorer does not reliably refresh the display of folder contents. You must press F5 to force a refresh. This bug is at least several years old, and the massive user pain can be experienced at the below locations (as well as other places):

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_7-files/windows-7-does-not-refresh-folder-views/9d1ede23-2666-4951-b3b9-b6c1ce3d1ebf

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en/w7itproui/thread/8afb8b65-900c-4f42-b1df-3c2394417b6e

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/w7itproui/thread/09fd46ff-65f1-4fa7-ae2d-9f3b2644fad6

There are several short threads on the subject here as well.

This is a deadly problem that no one seems to have an answer for. You can easily lose data, as the Windows Explorer display does not represent the actual folder contents. There have been suggestions that various key components are the culprit and need to be disabled or that mysterious and arcane registry entries need to be added, changed, or deleted. Because some interactions reset the misbehavior for a time, there are even voo-doo suggestions such as simply creating and deleting a folder in the root directory. However, the problem always returns in one form or another.

The fact is that Windows has a deadly bug that needs to be addressed, but no one seems to be working on it - or at least will admit that they are.

When I went to the suggested http://connect.microsoft.com/ to register a complaint about this expensive software package that does not function in this very fundamental way, I was told that because it was OEM from Dell, I need to take the problem to them. Really? There's a chance that an outsourced help desk person working from a Dell script is going to be able to solve a Windows bug for me? I don't think so.

So I find myself here - in a technical support version of Groundhog Day - starting over and over to achieve some sort of different result than, "Try this", or "Try that", or "Perform a clean boot and see if it still does it". Another response is to ask a blizzard of questions about my configuration. My configuration doesn't enter into it - it's happening to tons and tons of people on all kinds of computers (see above links).

So, here I am at Dell, asking if anyone has the correct answer. I eagerly await your kind replies.

Respectfully Submitted,

Don

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

September 21st, 2011 21:00

I don't have a fix for this - four regularly-used personal computers between work and home, and an IT admin of 100+ users (who would definitely let me know if they'd experienced this issue), and I've never seen this problem - but since I've never seen it, it is not a "global" bug with Windows ... it has to be configuration, be it hardware, software, etc.  Figuring out such a widespread problem on such a variety of systems has to be a headache - a real "needle-in-the-haystack" search for the cause.  When support asks the "blizzard of questions", indulge them ... if it is as widespread as you say, I guarantee the answers to those questions are being tracked and analyzed.

Hope you get it sorted - and I hope it continues to avoid me :)  Good luck.

You know why Microsoft sent you to Dell, right?  Since your PC came with Windows installed by the OEM, Dell assumes the responsibility of supporting the OS (and OEM's usually charge extra for more than "reinstall" support).  Support by Microsoft is included with volume and retail licenses.

3 Posts

September 21st, 2011 22:00

Thanks for the input. I won't ask you to plow through all the complaining users, but take my word for it - Windows started behaving this way on my Dell literally right out of the box. So whatever is causing it is doing so on as vanilla of a standard system as any user can ever be expected to have. I have decades of (mainframe) systems programming experience, and if I ignored this many users having this degree of heartache, I'd get fired on the spot. All someone has to do is ask me to replicate the problem for them while running monitoring software, and they would be able to see what is hijacking the refresh. Not anywhere as hard as you make out.Odds are, it's the same process that's interfering with the release of file handles. I hope it continues to avoid you too - this is a real show stopper for the kind of work I do. I now have to work through my own shell to make sure the refresh takes place. Realistically, how can Dell "assume" Windows support? I get the dollars part, but Dell paid Microsoft for a broken operating system, and I paid Dell. Now, Microsoft doesn't have to support me and Dell can't. Something wrong with this setup. And so it goes. - Don

1 Message

October 2nd, 2012 03:00

I know this is quite an old thread but thought I'd post an update as I was suffering with the same problem and it was driving me mad!  Elsewhere someone posted the below solution and it worked for me...

In Windows Exporer, choose the Organise menu option> Folder & Search options> View tab> uncheck the Use Sharing Wizard item on the menu.  Then close and re-open explorer...

This fixed it for me - note, I've no idea what I've disabled - do so at your own risk!

1 Message

December 4th, 2012 09:00

As far as I can see in some bug fixes posted somewhere elses, any change in folder & search options would do... 

In Windows Exporer, choose the Organise menu option> Folder & Search options> View tab> Check or uncheck any option> Apply

Voila, explorer is now refreshing, you can revert the option you just modified.

Enjoy!

Según varios posts para corregir el bug de no refrescado en explorer en win 7, basta con hacer algún cambio en las opciones de carpeta y búsqueda.

En el explorador de windows, clic en el menú Organizar > Opciones de carpeta y búsqueda > Pestaña Ver > Marca o desmarca cualquier opción > Aplicar 

Listo el explorador ya refresca automáticamente, si lo quieres puedes regresar la opción cambiada a su estado original.

¡Diviértase!

No Events found!