Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 8th, 2009 15:00

Windows 7 / Latitude E5400 / PCMCIA

Hi all,

I'm having trouble getting Windows 7 to detect my ExpressCard 34 sound card.  Here's what I've done:

1.) Ensured BIOS has PC Card enabled under Miscellaneous Devices

2.) Installed Windows 7, both RC1 and RTM

3.) Ensured Windows 7 is detecting PCMCIA device (RICOH 5C847), detected in device manager as "Ricoh R/RL/5C476(II) or Compatible CardBus Controller"

4.) Plugged in my SoundBlaster X-Fi Notebook ExpressCard 34.  It has a 54 caddy that attaches with it due to the slot size

I also tried installing the Ricoh 5C847 driver from the Dell web site but it does not appear to update the device manager device.  In addition, I tried updating the driver from within device manager to point at the Dell driver, but Windows says it has the better driver.

The card itself has lights on it which I've seen light up when inserted into another laptop, so I know it is not the card itself.  What am I missing?  The only thing I haven't validated is whether the card lights up with Windows XP or the OEM install of Windows Vista on my E5400.  Unfortunately I blew away Vista right when I got it a few days ago.

Is the Dell E5400 not compatible with ExpressCard 34?  Is the Windows 7 driver for the RICOH 5C476 chipset not functioning in Windows 7 for others?

Thanks for any help you can give!

No Responses!
No Events found!