Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

S

July 17th, 2009 04:00

Windows 7 - M1330

Hi,

I will be looking to upgrade the OS in my M1330 when Windows 7 is released in a couple of months. I am looking for some information on this and wonder if anyone on here can answer these questions. I guess most should apply to all devices:

1) 32/64bit? Windows7 will not come in different 32bit/64bit flavours and instead assesses the computer's capability and configures Windows7 to meet your pc/laptops capabilities. I.e. if your PC can cope with 64bit OS then this is what will be installed? First of all, is this correct or will you be offered the 32bit/64bit option during install? Assuming Windows7 configures in 64bit mode, will we need to install the 64bit Vista drivers or will 32bit drivers work?

2) When will Dell start releasing specific Windows7 compatible drivers for their current range of devices....including M1330?

If you can think of anything else that needs to be considered, please post up.

14.4K Posts

July 17th, 2009 04:00

Drivers.. If Dell decides to release drivers for win 7 it will not be untill at least a couple of days before the OS ships or a brief time aftwards. Then they may not even release them at all. If the system is no longer in production it may be that there are no driver updates.On the good side most drivers are in win 7 currently, and/or most vista drivers work just fine. I never had to load any drivers on my desktop system other than the sound driver when i installed 7 on it.

As to the 32/64 bit it might depend on what method you use to upgrade. If you are doing a true upgrade where you run the install from within the current os then if you are running a 32 bit version then that is what you will install. If you are doing a clean install then I do believe you will get the option to install either version.

137 Posts

July 20th, 2009 06:00

Thank you for your help. Yeah I will be doing a clean install (I don't think the Eropean version will allow an upgrade because of the IE issues...amongst other things). I was thinking of going for the 64bit version as I have 4gb of ram and the 32bit can only use 3.2gb's of that. It is good news that most of the vista drivers should work and i guess this is not that suprising as the Win7 is just a working version of Vista after all ;-)

306 Posts

July 21st, 2009 10:00

I have an Inspiron 1520 laptop with Windows 7 RC running on it, and there were no driver issues. 

You decide at installation whether you want 32 or 64 bit.  With the RC, that really depends on which version you download, but I do not think that Microsoft is going to force you to select one or the other based on what it thinks your hardware will support.  That decision will be up to you.

I think you should install the RC (dual boot with your current OS) on a new partition or separate hard drive and check it out.  Easiest way to find out if there will be problems.

3 Posts

October 16th, 2009 09:00

How about Inspiron 1520 32-bit Vista upgrades to 64-bit Windows 7? Possible? Do I need to search for the 64-bit hardware device drivers in order to make my Windows 7 b4-bit works? Thanks in advance!

Antonio

27 Posts

October 19th, 2009 15:00

Good luck, I tried one of the early trial versions on a XPS M1330 and had several issues and went back to VISTA.  Never could get bluetooth working even with the suggested fixes, hibernation would not work (had to shut down completely and turn off any auto sleep), video drivers at the time were not very good (video quality was bad even though the drivers said they were compatible with windows 7.  I hope we don't see another repeat of VISTA.

No Events found!