Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

K

August 21st, 2010 14:00

Windows 7 - Programs Stop Opening (Intermittent - reboot fixes for a few days)

Hey all,

This is my first post, so bear with me if I make some newbie mistakes. I usually solve my own problems, but this one's got me stumped, and honestly, don't we all just want to get back to work? :) So maybe you can help me out...

I see lots of people submitting HijackThis reports when they have similar problems, so I'm attaching one.

A bit of background info on this problem...

This started when I upgraded to Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit. Prior to this, I had Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit, which was clean-installed. I used the upgrade procedure from Windows 7 to upgrade, and it went pretty well. This problem did not begin occurring immediately; it's rather recent. I would say that it started approximately 30-60 days ago, so it may have been either from a Windows update or a program I installed within that time. One in particular that I can think of is CrashPlan, so if anyone knows if that causes such a problem, let me know. I also run a virtual machine on this laptop...strangely, the virtual machine keeps running without a problem even when I can't open other programs, or open them properly. However, closing it down doesn't resolve the issue.

There are several things that may happen when my computer gets into this state:

1. Programs do not open. For example, if I try to open Process Explorer (with which I replaced my Task Manager), it simply does not open. The computer does not freeze, but the program does not open.
  2. Sometimes a Web browser will open and then immediately freeze.
  3. Today I had the QuickTime installer freeze about 75% through the installation. When I clicked Stop, it didn't stop, and I couldn't force-close it due to not being able to open Process Explorer...
  4. Other times, a Web Browser will open and be unable to load pages. NOTE: I do not receive a page not found error. The progress indicator simply cycles forever, and the page does not load. I can observe this in Internet Explorer 8, Google Chrome (latest), and I think Firefox 3.6 (latest or second-latest). Firefox was freezing the latest time, though.

As mentioned in the title, a reboot fixes this every time. I haven't measured specifically, but it tends to take 2-3 days before I need to reboot again. Oh, sometimes I have to reboot because the CPU starts pegging at 100% with no way to stop it. I think that these two issues are related.

What this seems to indicate to me is that these programs are waiting for a response from some system process, which isn't giving it. One time, when nosing around in Process Explorer, I noticed the WMI Provider Service consuming a lot of CPU and that it was waiting for...something. I didn't have time to debug it with kernel dumps and stuff, and don't really have much experience with it...but I just mention it since maybe it's a similar thing here.

So I'm wondering...what should I do to debug/troubleshoot this issue effectively? I don't really want to do a system restore, and I don't want to clean-install the OS. This upgrade to Windows 7 actually started out really nicely...and if I could solve this issue, it'd be fine. I've bought more RAM to max it out, but somehow I don't think that alone will do the trick.

Any ideas? See any red flags in my HijackThis report? Let me know! Or let me know where I could post this to the right audience if this is not it.

Thanks for any ideas you may have.

Kevin

1 Attachment

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 11:00

Hi Kevin, and welcome.

HJT logs are handled in the Malware Removal forum where the experts hang out, and you should re-post your problem there: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3521.aspx

Read the instructions in this sticky first: http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/virus-spyware/f/3521/t/19251122.aspx

Good luck!

47 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 12:00

Hi Joe,

Thanks for taking the time to reply and for your welcome. I realize my problem description might have been flawed. The HJT log is only something I attached in passing, but I don't really think it'll provide much useful information relating to my problem - unless you are implying my problem sounds malware-related? Not sure where I would have picked that up - I've had real-time scanning (Avast!) in place for quite a while, I'm always behind  some kind of firewall (COMODO and my or someone else's router's NAT translation setup), avoid clicking on suspicious links, recently installed ThreatFire...etc. I know it's possible - it just doesn't seem like the most likely scenario given the security tools I've got in place.

If I don't get many other responses here, though, I'll take up your advice, read that link, and re-post this to the Malware Removal forum.

Take care,
Kevin

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 13:00

Kevin:

I'm no Malware Removal expert, but your HJT log shows evidence of at least 3 anti-virus programs: avast, Comodo Internet Security, and Threatfire.

You should use only one anti-virus in real-time; more than one leads to "duelling AVs" that can actually compromise your security.

I can't say that your log shows evidence of malware infection, but there does seem to be a lot loading and running that might account for your problem. The experts can advise you on this, even if you are not infected.

47 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 14:00

Hi Joe,

Thanks. I have the A/V disabled (actually, not installed) for COMODO and ThreatFire www.threatfire.com is a tool designed to be used with an antivirus - it's like a stopgap for stuff the antivirus doesn't know about yet. I also use this configuration on my desktop computer, a Studio 540 Desktop and don't experience any issues. As you say, let's see what the experts have to say.

Thanks,
Kevin 

20.5K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 14:00

let's see what the experts have to say.

Hi Kevin,

The trained analysts are over on the Malware Removal forum. Hijackthis rarely shows present day infections - especially on your version operating system. More advanced diagnostic tools will need to be run under the supervision of someone trained in their use.

47 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 16:00

Thanks Bugbatter - my symptoms generally don't seem to match those mentioned in the forum readme, though...so I am still not sure if cross-posting is the best option. I have more information that may clarify this issue. I just upgraded my memory to 8 GB today on the laptop (it was previously 4) - now the slowdowns happen much quicker, almost immediately. The CPU is pegging at 100%, and while things are still rather responsive, I wonder if that symptom may make things clearer. What kind of phenomenon would become worse with MORE memory? It seems like it must be something that is connected to the amount of memory - perhaps a caching process like Superfetch or something else that would respond to a memory increase. The symptoms are the same (and unhelpful) predominant CPU usage is by the WMI Provider service and/or svchost.exe (with a mix of services on the Services tab in Process Explorer), and DPCs can use a fair bit too, but really everything is using more CPU than normal, almost as if something is blocking it and they need to work harder.

It's rather strange; I wonder if it's heat-related? I use a docking station...I would guess that Dell would build them with fan placement in mind...but I'm not sure. The graphics card temperature tends to hover in the 60 degree (Celsius) range. The CPUs are better off, in the 40s or low 50s. I say maybe it's heat too because my desktop got a blue screen (one that it's gotten in the past and that I discovered was due to heat - poor case placement really).

It's so hard to say with intermittent stuff like this, but I guess at least it's a bit less intermittent now? :)

Help or advise, if you could. I'm just not sure the Malware Removal forum is my optimum next stop.

Thanks!
Kevin

881 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 20:00

I would post the log in the other forum if it were me. At the very least you might be able to rule out a malware/virus problem. While malware/virus identification and removal is the main goal over there....... They might be able to point you in the right direction even if it isn't an infection. I think it's worth 3 minutes of your time to repost.

Up to you..............

Jeff :emotion-22:

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 23rd, 2010 22:00

Kevin:

The 3 regulars who have responded to you so far all offer you the same advice, which you choose to ignore. Fair enough - it's your system, and your call. Personally, I'm signing off here.

Once again, I wish you good luck in your quest, but I sincerely doubt you will find any answers in this board.

47 Posts

August 23rd, 2010 22:00

Hey Joe,

Sorry, kind of a newbie on the board,...I guess I'm just a stuck-up programmer ;) I'm re-posting to that board though now. Just haven't had time...I've lost hours to this darn slowness today, but through sweat and tears seem to have worked out a bit more about it.

Anyhoo...just thought to reply back before I re-post.

Kevin

47 Posts

August 25th, 2010 11:00

Hi again,

I'm just wondering the usual response time over on Malware Removal so I can plan accordingly. I use the laptop for work, and I run a virtual machine on it, so the unpredictable CPU spiking makes this kind of hard. I've got a workaround (use another system for development...), but I lose the advantage of being able to do my work pretty much anywhere, online or offline. So I'm trying to get it sorted out by next week if I reasonably can.

Hope this post is not in bad taste, just didn't want to post on my own post over there because the board sticky said not to or I might not get a reply at all since the experts look for posts with 0 replies.

Thanks,
Kevin 

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 25th, 2010 20:00

Hi Kevin:

The volunteers are swamped with requests in the Malware Removal forum, and delays of a few days in responding are not uncommon, particularly in the summer holiday season.

If your needs are urgent, other boards that handle logs and remove malware include:
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0
http://www.bleepingcomputer.com/forums/forum22.html
http://malwareremoval.com/forum/viewforum.php?f=11

3 Apprentice

• 

15.2K Posts

August 26th, 2010 06:00

Kevin,

To (perhaps) clarify Joe's last comment --- to conform with HJT "etiquette" ---

you should be following assistance from ONLY ONE HJT helper site... trying to follow advice from two (or more) sites simultaneously can be detrimental.   It's like getting prescriptions from multiple doctors, without each one knowing what the other prescribed.

as such, when you actually receive help from a particular site, courtesy demands that you remove your logs from the other sites, so that the helpers there won't "waste" their time analyzing a log that's no longer "current" for your system.

47 Posts

August 26th, 2010 10:00

Yeah, no problems with that. I have a workaround solution which lets me do my job and thus I can waiit. Hopefully, they will be able to respond today or tomorrow, and then I can rule out (or consider) malware as a part of the problem.

1 Rookie

• 

5.8K Posts

August 26th, 2010 18:00

Kevin:

I am informed that some of the alternate malware removal forums I mentioned are also back-logged with replies, and that your best bet if you want a quick reply might be to post at 247FIXES:
http://www.247fixes.com/forums/forum/3-malware-removal-forum/?s=4662ac2c60eac1230f44ec6190a88a0c

Thanks to ky331 for clarifying proper etiquette about not working 2 HJT logs simultaneously. I was remiss in not mentioning that.

47 Posts

August 26th, 2010 21:00

Thanks. I'll probably be fine. Can't wait for them to reply though so I can start tinkering...I like to do so and understand how things work.

I also have some additional info relevant to this forum.

I have noticed more about the symptoms of the issue. It seems that if I don't run my VirtualBox virtual machine, my CPU hovers around 20-40% while running Process Explorer, sometimes dipping lower and occasionally going higher. This still seems kind of high to me, but maybe it's normal for a laptop...especially since I tend to be a power user in terms of software, I guess. I'm the one who you'll always be telling, "what? 130 processes? that's too many!" But what can I say...I've got programs I like and tend to use them.

Anyway, I haven't gotten the massive slowdowns/freezes since not running VirtualBox, but what I notice is that my CPU usage seems to be really sensitive these days. Running VBox (shorter to type) did not cause this behavior in the past. I'm not sure if upgrading the RAM (and subsequently jacking up the RAM used by the virtual machine) had this impact or what. However, I also noticed that running NX Client for Windows, a graphical remote access program that connects to a Linux computer over SSH and displays its screen, used quite a bit of CPU, around 40%. The program is really just sending network data back and forth and displaying an image. I don't think it used to use that much CPU, and it's effectively using as much as my computer-in-my-computer VBox VM! So I wonder if the issue is graphics-card-related somehow. I should try watching a movie and see if that does it too.

Even if it is, though, I don't know how I would convince warranty support of the fact...and I don't know how to confirm itself. Maybe I should run the diagnostics tool that's undoubtedly somewhere on the recovery partition...hard to say...

I guess I could run performance logging too, but ugh...I used to work in support...and it just takes so long...and logs so much...and then to play back the logs is like...just a waiting game. It's no fun.

So yeah, if there are any ideas on what could make programs basically use more processor power than they really ought to...I am all ears. I hope I've described this well.

Kevin

No Events found!