Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 5th, 2009 01:00

Windows 7 RC

As MSFT have dropped the RC on MSDN, for us people like developers who will be using it, Whats the timeine for dell to drop all the relevant drivers ?

Im currently running a M6400 covet and dont see anything relting to Windows 7 yet.

Nvidia are there already.

Is there any Beta links for the drivers etc or have wegot any timelines on the drop ?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

May 5th, 2009 04:00

Don't hold your breath waiting for Dell to release Windows 7 drivers.  For some models it will be never and those that they will support it probably will be closer to the full Retail version release.  However, if your system has Vista drivers then it should be OK, I had the Windows 7 Beta installed and I didn't have any driver problems with Vista drivers for that.

13 Posts

May 5th, 2009 12:00

I think it is best to install Windows 7 on a new hard drive and set-up all your hardware. Not all Vista Drivers will work.

The beta had no issues with my Dell 2135cn Color Laser, however on the RC I could not install the Vista 64 Printer Drivers.

Also the ATI Drivers appear to be a little buggy. My Windows Score was a 2 based on my Dual ATI 4850's on a 730x i7 965.

Find all your drivers first!

34 Posts

May 7th, 2009 22:00

I've run Win7 Beta 64 on my XPS 1530 laptop with no issues at all. All Vista drivers worked.

I'm currently running Win7 RC1 on my desktop (homebrew). It installed and recognized everything including my nVidia card and two monitors. I didn't have to set anything up, the install did it all.Took about 30 minutes. Fastest and most trouble free install of Windows I've ever done.

I'm not going to put Win7 back on the laptop until the release version is out. I don't want to have to do another install of everything and since I will be going to the 64bit version and my Vista is 32bit, a full install will be necessary.

10 Posts

May 8th, 2009 03:00

Im gonna give it ago today, i have an issue with my lappy that when playing WOW, my screen goes black and i have to dirty shutdown, so i was going to do the opp sys again as no patches updates have mended it.

I,ll try the RC and then see if it replictaes it there, if so its a Service call me thinks.

probably VGA card specific,

Thanks for reply all,

4 Operator

• 

3.7K Posts

May 8th, 2009 12:00

Hi All, I put Win7 on today with no issue with drivers, i even got an dell driver for my monitor as an update in Win 7.

No Events found!