Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

C

November 18th, 2009 12:00

Windows 7 Update won't Install

Hi, can anyone help. I'm trying to upgrade from Windows Vista 64 bit Home Premium to Windows 7  64 bit Home premium.

When I try to install, I am told that I need to uninstall Kaspersky Anti Virus first. My computer is only 2 months old. I have never dowloaded this software in any form. I have searched the computer and can't find it anywhere. I have been to Kaspersky's web site and downloaded their removal tool. I ran it............. and that could not find anything either.

Any suggestions. I'm not very technical so I would appreciate simple instructions if you have any.  

4.6K Posts

November 18th, 2009 13:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-21:

Strange one that?

Do you have to install the upgrade from the desktop - i.e. can't you boot from the upgrade disc?  You'll need you Vista serial handy.

The only other thing I can think of just now, is booting into Safe Mode, and trying the install again?

184 Posts

November 18th, 2009 13:00

Clockworktarzan,

Thank you for contacting the Dell Community Forums.  Do you have Norton or Symantec Antivirus installed by any chance?  I found this forum thread, which refers to a person who was having the same problem, and solved it by using the Norton Removal Tool to get rid of Norton Antivirus.  If you have Norton or Symantec AV installed, you may want to give that a try.  Please post here if you're still having problems.

November 22nd, 2009 10:00

Thanks for the replies. I found out why.......... I think!!!!!!

I use Virgin Broadband. Their Anti Virus software is PC Guard. 

They have just updated their software. It is now using the Kaspersky platform and engine. Not quite sure what that means but I think that must be the reason.

As yet, PC Guard will not work with Windows 7 and there will not  be suitable software until Feb 2010, so I will stick to vista until then. 

When I know the software is ok, I will try uninstalling PC Guard to see if that will then allow me to Update to Windows 7. Then I will install the windows 7 version of PC Guard.

Probably won't go as smoothly as it sounds......... nothing ever does with computers.

Thanks

Clockworktarzan

No Events found!