Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 27th, 2009 19:00

Windows 7 Upgrade Order Here's Some Answers (Update 10/29/09)

First, if you have not already read other post, Dell is now shipping Windows 7.

If you haven't received an e-mail about your order, then welcome to the club.  However, you can check the status of your order by going to https://win7.dell.com/Default.aspx  , then Log In & click on "Order Status", if you registered but did not confirmed your order you will need to do that first.

If you have status on your order & a tracking #, but clicking on the tracking # gives you a page that says "404 - File or Directory not found" , then copy your tracking # & paste it in the appropriate box at: http://www.ups-mi.net/packageID/default.aspx 

You should also note that just because you have a ship date, that does not mean that your update package will ship that day.  Some people are finding that they are getting their orders sooner than the Ship Date on their order status.

UPDATE 10/292009

If you have a USPS Delivery Confirmation Number on the UPS-MI site, you can copy it & go to www.usps.com & paste it in the Track & Confirm box & track your package in the USPS system.

If you are wondering what you get with your package, see joelkirzner's post here, he pretty good description of what he got & how his installation went.

99 Posts

October 29th, 2009 14:00

jpruessner, Yeah, you are pretty much on the money.  But todd_i is right, I wouldn't worry too much about it because there are probably MILLIONS of upgrades going out & we're only on day 3 of "Windows 7 Watch" (the starting ship date was Oct 26th).  Just keep checking your status, I'm sure that you'll get your upgrade soon.

59 Posts

Besides, people in the UK have better customization options for new machines (e.g. display) than we do on the Dell site here in the US, so you guys can wait a bit.

If it doesn't come with peanuts, then you need to contact Dell.:emotion-15: Mind you, our charge is helping the US balance of payments, and making ours even worse than it already is...

99 Posts

October 29th, 2009 15:00

I know, you would at least think that they would a little bag of peanuts after traveling for 3 days.:emotion-9:  And I feel for you, we are not that far behind, just take a look at our debt clock.

tinwarble:

Maybe the site is very busy, but I went to the link you gave, and got error messages trying to log in.  Tried 6-7 times with same result (I know, I know, the definition of insanity:emotion-6:).  Tried to 'register' and it told me I already had - at least if they EVER send those emails, I (?SHOULD?)   get one.  I went back to the Dell main site & logged in to my account, and it says I have no current orders, and I find no option to order the upgrade, other than buying one.

Talk about confusion!

99 Posts

Don't wait for the e-mail, because it probably want come anytime soon, since apparently no one got that e-mail.  Just go here https://win7.dell.com/Default.aspx & log in & confirm your order.

99 Posts

October 29th, 2009 16:00

First, your order will not be on the Dell Main site, so don't even both with that.  It sounds like you may be having the same problem as other people, where they are registered but they can't log on.  Don't ask me why! I don't know what is going on with your log in, but I just tried & I was able to log in fine.  If you can't log in then you (like the other people who have the same problem), are going to have to call Dell at: 1-800-624-9897 & chose the option "None of those" & then chose option "Help with my order", which is supposed to connect to Customer Care.  Hope this helps

99 Posts

October 29th, 2009 17:00

Pushing Post Forward!

9 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 16:00

i have been having trouble logging into  the dell win7 upgrade website for the past week, i keep getting a message that my password is invalid.  when i try to use the forgot password option, i enter my username(have also tried email address) and press submit but the page just reloads.  i have tried this in multiple browsers and on multiple PCs, all w/ the same results. i have checked on google, it appears i am not alone in this, many others have posted on various forums that they are also unable to access the win7 upgrade site.    i placed an order on the upgrade website for the dell win7 upgrade on 10/23 and have yet to receive my order. my confirmation stated that i would receive an email when my order has shipped and i have not gotten an email yet.  this along w/ the fact that i can no longer log into the website suggests that there is some kind of issue w/ the win7 upgrade program. anybody know what i can do to regain access to the site and also get a status update on my order.  also, i tried the contact us link on the upgrade site but aftyer filling in all the info and pressing submit, the page reloads w/ a red X next to the message box, so i can't even send them a message there to tell them that i can't access my order.

6 Posts

November 2nd, 2009 20:00

Just a note for everyone - regardless of whether you have an actual package tracking number or not, it worked for me to submit my order number (the "W07..." part) to the UPS-MI site. It came up with all of the correct information and everything. However, I also got an email a couple of hours later with a tracking number. So all that to say, maybe it was already in the system but the email was just slow in coming my way. Somebody else will have to try it. At any rate, it sure was nice to finally be able to see something/anything confirming that my order had indeed shipped (before receiving the email that is).

November 3rd, 2009 09:00

whitekenny:  HANG IN THERE!!!!

My situation is nearly the same as yours, except I had not even been able to log in to ORDER my upgrade - was fully registered some time back.  I finally was able to log in about 1/2 hr ago - after finally getting a message to use the forgotten password link, which has been dead for a week.   It did work this time & sent me a new password, which worked, & I have now ordered the upgrade.  Now I can join all the rest of you who have reach this (minor) intermediate goal!

A note for anyone still trying to log in:   The new message sending me to the 'forgotten password' link also stated that ' too many (no number given) failed login attempts wil lock your account'   This info was never given before, so either something has started working, or they have changed the messages.

Good luck to all.

I won't 'sign' this post, since the last time I used my normal nickname (short for RICHARD), my post was removed & I was threatened with banishment!!!!!!!!

I hate automatic censors!!!!!

2 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 10:00

If anyone else reading this thread is in the UK and like me is a) extremely angry b) wondering what is going on...then I thought I would post the same info which I put on another thread.

Have just got off the phone from Dell Customer Service, where I was told that we would have to wait at least another week before we can expect to receive an email informing us of when our upgrades are going to ship.

Why?  This is what I really want to know....if I go to the Dell online store I can pay full-price for the software and it ships within 24 hours.  So let me get this straight, if I go to the Dell online store and pay full price I can have the software but if you paid £900+ for a new laptop and another £15 for your "free" upgrade then you're going to have to wait....sounds fair!!!!!!!!!!

16 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 11:00

Just a note for everyone - regardless of whether you have an actual package tracking number or not, it worked for me to submit my order number (the "W07..." part) to the UPS-MI site. It came up with all of the correct information and everything. However, I also got an email a couple of hours later with a tracking number. So all that to say, maybe it was already in the system but the email was just slow in coming my way. Somebody else will have to try it. At any rate, it sure was nice to finally be able to see something/anything confirming that my order had indeed shipped (before receiving the email that is).

Nothing for me, and my estimated ship date is today.

39 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 17:00

my status was showing allright at dell win7 site, even had a shipment date and the status first was "in process" then "ordered", now I click to check my order status and the it no longer displays info, just "an error has occured".

how about that? anyone could share some light on this?

thanks !!

9 Posts

November 3rd, 2009 17:00

thanks for the update rich! i just tried to login again and got a new 'invalid password' error, this time telling me that i'm locked out and to click forgot password.  i clicked forgot password link and it actually worked this time.  i was able to reset my password and log in, but according to the site my order hasn't shipped yet, status just says 'ordered' and the est. ship date isn't until 11/15!  at least they fixed the site. took them long enough!

No Events found!