Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 5th, 2009 12:00

Windows 7 Upgrade

Hi,
Im planning on upgrading from vista 32-bit to windows 7 64-bit when its released later this month.  But having never installed an operating system before im unsure on some things, and i know that going from 32bit to 64bit complicates things a little.  Just some advice and guidance really :emotion-2:.

Firstly id like to know what happens (upon the clean install; when i believe the installation erases all files etc) to the 10gb 'RECOVERY' partition put in place by dell? Will i have to go into the settings and delete this as a partition during the installation so i dont have a random 10gb partition on my hard drive? Will that be done automatically? Or does the computer need files on there for whatever reason?

Secondly im curious if i need any dell installation discs etc for anything in particular? I would like to assume that once i install the OS all will be fine and everything (well mostly...) will work, but i know thats not allways the case.  I know i need backups of any other programs & files etc that i use, thats not a problem as i have an external hard drive i can use.

(I have a vostro 410 desktop 4gbram, q9400, 500gb, 8800gt.....)

Any other help and advice with this would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

125 Posts

October 6th, 2009 20:00

Hi Stee01,

I'm in the same exact boat as you are in.  I want to upgrade my XPS410 32 Vista OS to a new 64bit Windows 7 version without loosing my Dell partition in case my computer becomes too corrupted.  I hope we can update our systems without loosing the partition or have too many other issues when we do it.

Would you please let me know if you learn anything concerning the upgrade on our XPS410 systems?  Thank you for your time.

No Events found!