Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 15th, 2010 06:00

Windows 7 on Optiplex GX260

{ { { Be forwarned: I'm a technology idiot }}}

My parents recently bought this desktop for us from a local thirft store, and loaded Windows 7 onto it. But, I am having some problems. I would check the Windows 7 compatibility page here, but...I can't get it to load!

What seems to be the main issue is that I cannot reset the screen resolution. All the icons are huge, my new printer drivers won't load at this resolution, and (duh) pages don't appear like they're supposed to.

In my humble and altogether vastly uneducated opinion, I think it's a RAM issue. This computer simply not having enough to render the graphics properly. If in fact that is the case, is this a simple solution of popping in more RAM until the capacity is reached?

Thank you in advance.

48 Posts

December 31st, 2010 08:00

I have installed Windows 7 on several GX260 and GX270 PCs.  To correct the screen resolution problem go to the bios and change the Integrated Devices (LegacySelect Options) Onboard Video Buffer from 1 MB to 8 MB.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

December 15th, 2010 08:00

The big problem, is hardware compatibility with Windows 7.  Dell only supports Windows XP on this model and thus there are not Windows 7 hardware drivers for the various devices, including the Video.  Windows 7 will install many drivers that will work or at least provide basic functionality, but on some there will not be anything available.  Usually the sound will not work in these older systems and a separate sound card that is Windows 7 compatible is needed.  Do a google search for the video drivers, if you can determine exactly what video hardware you have.  Judging from the downloads, I would suspect it has the Intel 845 G/GL video (on the motherboard).

As this is basically obsolete hardware as it has an "AGP" slot for a separate video card.  AGP was used for older Windows operating systems and in early Windows XP systems.  But the specific version of the GS260 you have (case size) will depend on what potential video card you can use.  Some require "low profile" type cards as a full size card is too large.

Adding more memory will not help the specific problem you have. 

If you have Windows XP, that would be the best Operating System for this model, and Dell does have all the needed device drivers. 

HERE is the Dell downloads and the correct and required install sequence is (1) Install Windows (2) Install Intel motherboard chipset drivers (3) install device drivers including sound, video, ethernet, etc. 

4 Operator

• 

11.1K Posts

December 27th, 2010 08:00

That applies to any Windows OS.

December 27th, 2010 08:00

Thank you so much for your response! In the last paragraph on step (1) are you referring to Windows XP? Thank you! 

3 Posts

April 6th, 2012 22:00

Check your Hardware. I am running Windows 7 on my Optiplex GX260.

1 Message

August 7th, 2013 07:00

Thank-you for this tip!  I was just about to forego the on-board video by installing a secondary PCI video card when I saw this hint.  Once I set the BIOS onboard buffer to 8Mb, all of my issues went away!  Yes, an Optiplex with 2Gb RAM will run Win7 quite successfully.

2 Posts

November 19th, 2013 06:00

First go http://downloads.dell.com/Pages/Drivers select your PC model.
update your PC to BIOS A9 then Install fresh Win7
Download Audio/ video Drivers from above link
For Information and Contact Please Visit : 
Now Double Click first Extract the drivers to C:\ Dell folder\Driver name.
After opening driver folder Right on Driver installer Like Right click>>Properties>>Compatibility>> Run Select>> Windows XP (SP2) or (SP3)>>apply>>OK.
Now Right click on installer and Run as Administrator. Prob Solved :emotion-1: :emotion-1:
For Information and Contact Please Visit : applescloud.blogspot.com

March 22nd, 2014 12:00

Audio Try AC97 Realtek Compatible with Windows Vista 7

Video (Just Download Driver Genius 11 [via Thepiratebay.se] And let It Do Its Thing)  :emotion-2: 

1 Message

June 21st, 2014 08:00

I followed your instructions to install Windows 7 on my Optiplex GX260 [Svc Tag Service tag removed per privacy policy>]. I updated the BIOS to A09 and changed the video buffer to 8 mb then installed Windows 7 Home Premium. It seemed to be fine at first but soon after the installation completed, it began  crashing repeatedly for no apparent reason. The screen suddenly goes blank then turns blue with a bunch of text and then the system reboots.

Sometimes it will go awhile without crashing. Quite a few updates were installed but while it was installing a new one, it crashed and then crashed several more times attempting new updates.

Aside from all the crashes, it appears to be okay. All devices are fully functional including video and sound.

It has 2 gigs of RAM and I have removed and replaced the chips to rule out a mis-seated one and swapped them around in case one was defective but that did no good.

And btw, it has run XP Professional perfectly since new.... no problems whatsoever.

I am out of ideas. Any advice or suggestions would be appreciated before I throw in the towel. 

Thanks!

No Events found!