Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 22nd, 2009 03:00

Windows 7 on Vostro 1510

I have installed 7 onto my Vostro 1510 with very little trouble apart from the biometric sensor not being recognised, I get a message asking me plug in the biometric device into the USB socket. I have used the drivers on the original disc provided with the computer. Does anyone know if Dell will be providing Windows 7 drivers?

21 Posts

October 25th, 2009 04:00

I also have the 1510 but no biometric sensor. I have not tried installing Windows 7 just yet as Microsoft Windows 7 Upgrade Advisor tool is saying Bios are not compatable and I need to install service pack 1. Could you tell me if you installed Windows 7 as an upgrade or a custom clean install.

October 25th, 2009 04:00

I performed a full clean install of Windows 7 Professional, the only problem i found was with the Biometric drivers. I have now resolved that problem by using the Windows 7 driver for the Vostro 1520, all the other drivers and bios found on my original Dell disc appear to be working fine. Go and install it, its great!

21 Posts

October 25th, 2009 05:00

Hi and thanks for the fast reply.

Can you tell me the Bios version on your 1510 please. I currently have A06, but the latest offering is A15.

October 25th, 2009 06:00

My Bios is A13, think i will update that this aftrenoon.

1 Message

November 13th, 2009 01:00

Hi there,

I have installed WIN7 (ultimate) onto my Vostro 1510 (no biometric sensor ), after installation only one little problem: the SD/MMC-Drive had no function. A new Vista-Driver-installation (R197155) was helpful.

18 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 00:00

I've managed to install Win7 Pro (32bit) on my 1510 (A15 bios).  Here are some of my observations and issues:

Everything seems to be working.

I got the o2micro SD card driver from Windows Update.

The newer Realtek PCI GBE ethernet driver offered by windows update does not appear to be compatible - it won't install properly.

The Synaptic touchpad driver offered by windows update also works, but is missing horizontal and vertical scroll bars (see below)

I later installed the following (optional?) drivers:

- Intel chipset INF update - the latest one from intel.com would probably work but I just grabbed the one for Vostro 1520  -  R228601.exe

- Intel AHCI/SATA driver - from intel.com  Rapid Storage driver v9.6.0.1014.  

- Intel wireless - from intel.com  v13.0.0.107 - I installed the driver only.  (I've had bad experience with v12.x drivers under XP dropping wireless connections)

- Realtek HD audio driver v2.4.8 - from realtek.com.tw.  This version will detect/notify when a mic and/or headphones are inserted into front sockets.

I've been trying to find a driver which would work with the 1510's Alps touchpad and reinstate the missing scroll bar functionality.

The latest Synaptic v14.x driver doesn't offer scroll bars on the Alps touchpad.

The vostro 1520 win7 driver loads but it can cause the keyboard to stop working.

After a bit of googling, I found an old Vista 32/64 bit driver on Toshiba's website which appears to work.

Toshiba ALPS v7.2.303.107 Vista driver - I forgot to note down the URL, but I think this is the URL I used:

http://uk.computers.toshiba-europe.com/innovation/download_driver_details.jsp?service=UK&selCategory=2&selFamily=4&selSeries=151&selProduct=816&selShortMod=783&language=13&selOS=null&selType=null&yearupload=&monthupload=&dayupload=&useDate=null&mode=allMachines&search=&action=search&macId=&country=8&selectedLanguage=13&type=null&page=1&ID=65296&OSID=26&driverLanguage=42

The touchpad settings can be accessed via the Mouse Properties > Advanced tab > Advanced Settings button

There are only 2 issues with this driver:

1. If the windows font size is set to 125% on a 1280x800 screen, you may find some touchpad settings dialogue boxes to be too tall for your screen.  Change back to 100% font size to work around it.

2. I have witnessed the mouse pointer freezing and not respond for up to a minute on one or two occasions since installing this driver.   I am still investigating. 

(There is a check box for disabling touchpad when a USB mouse is connected - I have now enabled it to see if this makes any difference)

Has anyone found a better touchpad driver ?

Has anyone found a version of Quickset which works, as I miss the popup graphics which appear when altering screen brightness and volume?

18 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 02:00

Update: I'm not sure why I did not try previously. I just installed the Vista 32bit versions of the following Vostro 1510 utils:

Quicket and Alps touchpad

They both appear to be working.

21 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 03:00

The 'o2micro SD card driver' found on Windows Update, was ity for Win 7 or Vista? 

Also, I did a Win Update search but could not find it. Do you have the URL?

21 Posts

May 22nd, 2010 03:00

The 'o2micro SD card driver' found on Windows Update, was ity for Win 7 or Vista? 

Also, I did a Win Update search but could not find it. Do you have the URL?

18 Posts

May 23rd, 2010 02:00

I just ran Windows Update from Windows 7 and it offered me the o2 micro driver.

I've now just looked in Device Manager, and the driver properties are:

O2Micro MS/MSPRO Controller,

o2media.sys

v1.0.2.23

copyright 2004/5   14 Nov 2005

Digital signer: Microsoft Windows Hardware compatiblity.

It looks like the driver predates Vista ??

-----------------------------

Update on touchpad driver.

The Dell vostro 1510 vista 32 Alps touchpad driver was working fine all day yesterday.  This morning, both keypad and touchpad have frozen on boot up.

I've now removed it.  About to try the Toshiba Alps driver but I'm not hopeful of success.

I also think when the above vostro driver was loaded, it may have been extending the time it took for the laptop to boot up too.

1 Message

March 27th, 2011 14:00

I just put Win7 64bit on my Vostro 1510.  For the touchpad, I'm using the driver for a Dell Studio 1737 laptop.  Scrolling works, as does thecheck box to disable the touchpad when an external mouse is connected.

For the XD reader, I'm using a Vista 64 driver for a an Acer Aspire 4920.   http://support.acer-euro.com/drivers/notebook/as_4920.html -> MS Windows Vista -> 64 Bit Driver -> CardR_O2_v3.09_Vista_XP

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 5th, 2013 04:00

This is an old thread but I am posting just in case. You may try the unofficial driver set for Windows 7 64 bit here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/4700.vostro-1510-windows-7-64-bit.aspx

1 Message

April 6th, 2014 14:00

thank u so much. this driver (Dell Studio 1737) worked for my touch-pad. vostro 1510, se7en ultimate X64

No Events found!