Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 16th, 2011 08:00

Windows 7 system needs IE8

I recently bought 2 systems. They are Windows 7 64 bit. They came with Internet Explorer 9 installed. One of our business' software will not work yet with IE9. (Not until sometime next year I have been told) I have been unable to find a IE8 installation that will work. All the ones that I've tried off of Microsoft's site give me an error and won't install. I bought a Windows 7 64 bit system a few months ago and that has IE8 so I know it is possible.

Until I find a version that will install I have two useless PCs.

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 16th, 2011 09:00

Unchecking IE9 in Turn Windows Features On of Off will not uninstall IE9, it will only turn IE on or off.  You must follow my instructions to remove IE9 to leave IE8.  Windows 7 has, in its core code, IE8 integrated into the OS ... IE9 is only an update to it.  

Reinstalling is always an option ... I'll tell you more if you need to.

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

Did you remove IE9 first before trying to install IE8? You cannot install IE8 without doing that and rebooting before installing it. answers.microsoft.com/.../fabf6b28-d770-e011-8dfc-68b599b31bf5

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

Open Control Panel, Programs and Features, View Installed Updates ... find the Windows Internet Explorer 9 update and uninstall it.  This will remove the IE9 update and leave you with IE8.

IE8 cannot be uninstalled - only turned on or off - so, likewise, it also cannot be installed, meaning there is no installation package you can use to otherwise install IE8.

Alternatives would be to run your website(s)/application(s) in IE9 in Compatibility Mode/View for IE8, run IE8 in a virtual machine on the system, or reinstall Windows 7 from scratch.

3 Posts

Sorry I misread your original post. I'm still getting the hang of where they are hiding everything in 7.

That did work. Both sytems running IE8 now.

Thanks so much for the help I couldn't seem to find anywhere else.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

No problem ... While Windows 7 is familiar in many ways, there are a few things that are just handled differently.

Good luck!

3 Posts

I did go into programs and unchecked IE9 and rebooted. That did not leave IE8 as IE9 was the original one installed. I am left with no Internet Explorer.  When I have tried to install different versions from Microsoft I get a different versions of "not supported by this operating system" message.

Reinstalling is not an option as it is a Dell recovery disk and will just load 9 on again.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 16th, 2011 21:00

A problem/issue with printing to a Dell printer from IE9?  If it is a problem/issue with IE9 printing to any printer, I haven't seen it in over a year of working with a combination of 150 Windows 7 machines and a dozen different printers ... if it is an IE9 issue, that's hardly Dell's issue.

24 Posts

August 16th, 2011 21:00

I have had similar problems with the printing function of IE9. Dell tech finally admitted there is a issue in IE9. I just went to the installed updates and located the IE9 update and it uninstalled and IE8 was left behind. The computer quickly wanted me to reinstall IE9 so I just right clicked the update and hid it and all the printing issues were solved. Maybe this will work for you. Good luck Dell techs don't give the full story until you back them in a corner

24 Posts

August 16th, 2011 23:00

Thank you for correcting me. I was not trying to create a battle just provide feedback that I had encountered. Your intelligence is to be admired by all that you grace with your knowledge

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

August 16th, 2011 23:00

Thanks.

24 Posts

August 17th, 2011 21:00

That was a smug answer. If you read what I wrote I only spoke of reverting to IE8 and never mentioned Dell printers. Anyway happen I could boost your ego. Maybe you might read a little more carefully before you jump on someones back. God Bless and have a wonderful time in your day.

August 18th, 2011 01:00

* 1 Close all programs.

* 2 Click on "Start," then "Settings." Go to "Control Panel" and click "Uninstall Program."

* 3 Click on "Turn Windows Features On or Off."

* 4 Uncheck "Internet Explorer 9," then click "Yes."

* 5 Follow the directions given during uninstallation.

* 6 Restart the computer.

1 Message

September 6th, 2011 13:00

I am having the same issue with IE 9. Please indulge me so that I can be sure that I understand the process.

1. turn OFF ie9

2. uninstall the ie9 updates

3. reboot

4. this SHOULD leave me with ie8 as it is a core element of windows 7

Am I missing any steps?

TIA

September 6th, 2011 14:00

There is no need to turn off IE9.  Simply uninstall the IE9 update, then reboot.  This will leave you with IE8.  IE8 cannot be installed or uninstalled ... it can only be turned on/off.

No Events found!