Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

May 18th, 2012 10:00

Windows 7 upgrade causing problems with size of screen display

I have a Dimension 3000 tower that I replaced the monitor on about one year ago.  The replacement screen is a Dell flat screen that I bought off of e-Bay and it worked fine until recently when I upgraded my operating system from Windows XP Home Edition to Windows 7.  After the upgrade everything on the monitor screen is too large (it looks to be about 150% magnification).  When I go into the screen resolution view the "smaller text" option is already selected.

Any suggestions would be appreciated- Dave Trader

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 25th, 2012 09:00

Yes update that one... I wasn't sure of the exact terminology.

20 Posts

May 25th, 2012 10:00

natakuc4- Your fix worked great!  I was worried I would have to go back to my old XP operating system to fix the problem but your drivers got the lettering and graphics back to normal.  Thanks so much for your help!  Dave Trader

1.3K Posts

May 18th, 2012 11:00

You need to adjust "Screen Resolution". Right click and choose "Personalize">Display>Adjust Resolution>move slider up. Click APPLY then OK.

20 Posts

May 21st, 2012 10:00

dave5-  after choosing "adjust resolution" the screen comes up showing a Display box and a Resolution box.  In the display box is;  1. Generic PnP Monitor on Standard VGA Graphics Adapter.  In the Resolution box is; 640 x 480.  The Resolution box is shaded in gray and cannot be selected.  I assume that is where the slider would be if I could get there.

Thanks- dave trader

14.4K Posts

May 21st, 2012 14:00

Sounds like you need to install compatible windows 7 video drivers...

1.3K Posts

May 21st, 2012 18:00

You can try XP video drivers in "Compatibilty Mode" link below. It seems Intel is not supporting Drivers for Video chips that old, for Windows 7.

www.dell.com/.../DriverFileFormats

Or buy a PCI Video Card like the ones at this link. Nvidia will have drivers for win7 and older cards that are for sale in the link below.

www.newegg.com/.../ProductList.aspx

20 Posts

May 24th, 2012 09:00

dave5- I downloaded the Intel driver but when I tried installing it I got a message saying "This operating system is not supported".  I wasn't in compatibility mode when I tried to launch the driver, does that matter?  Thanks- Dave Trader

20 Posts

May 24th, 2012 09:00

bacillus-  Can I get them somewhere for free?

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

May 24th, 2012 13:00

Download R96001.exe and R106458.exe. Run them so that they extract to C:\Dell\Drivers\R96001 and C:\Dell\Drivers\R106458 respectively. They will both try to install and fail.

Open Device Manager (Start, right click computer > Properties > Device Manager). Go to display adaptors, the device will be called generic device/display adaptor - right click it and select update driver software.

Just select C:\Dell\Drivers and then click next. Let it find the driver and it should work with basic functionality.

20 Posts

May 25th, 2012 08:00

natakuc4-  You state that I should update the driver software on my "generic device/display adaptor".  However the only adapter listed under my "Display adapters" folder is called a "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter".  Any suggestions?  Thanks- Dave Trader

No Events found!