Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 31st, 2009 16:00

Windows 7 upgrade tips for Inspiron 1420

Hi,

I just finished upgrading to Windows 7 64-bit from Vista 32-bit (which came with my machine) on my Inspiron 1420, by using the custom installation from a Windows 7 Home Premium Upgrade disc.  I was kind of intimidated about necessity of 64-bit driver since there is no 64-bit support option on Dell's website.  So having gone through it successfully now, I thought I would share how I did it for those who may be thinking about the upgrade.

Chipset, Audio and 3945abg Wireless:

Although Dell does not list support for 64-bit drivers for the Inspiron 1420 on its driver homepage, there are three drivers on that page that do support both Windows Vista 32-bit and 64-bit.  These drivers are for the Intel Chipset, Sigmatel Audio and the Intel 3945abg wireless card.  Note that the Inspiron 1420 booted fine for the first time after the Win7 OS was installed, and the wireless card and audio were functioning with the Win7 native drivers.  So the Dell drivers are not absolutely necessary.  However, I decided to install the Dell chipset and wireless drivers from the 1420 driver page in case they would be more efficient.

Touchpad and Quickset:

Now, Dell's 1420 driver page does not have 64-bit drivers that may be used for the touchpad, quickset functions (external audio buttons) or video card.  After booting Win7, I found that my touchpad lacked the scroll features and only the mute button for quickset worked.  However, no quickset graphic popped up when the quickset buttons were used either.  Fortunately, Dell provides touchpad and quickset drivers for Windows 7 64-bit for the Inspiron 1545.  I downloaded and installed these drivers with success.  As far as I can tell, the scroll features and external quickset buttons function fully with the 1545 drivers.

Video Card:

Finally, the video card.  I have the NVIDIA 8400M GS.  In the past, I do not believe that the nvidia website offered support for this card.  In any case, there is a Windows 7 64-bit driver on their website that supports this card and worked for me.  Note that the nvidia website recommends updating the bios of the computer to version, A09 (available on Dell's driver page).  I had updated to the newest bios, version A10, and the driver seems to be compatible with this version.

For what it's worth, I also installed 2x2GB (for 4GB total) of DDR2 RAM prior to the install, and the OS recognizes all 4GB.

I hope this helps some other Inspiron users who may be interested in upgrading their OS.  Although I have not used the OS a whole lot yet, the machine seems completely stable and functions well. Good luck!

3 Posts

May 22nd, 2012 12:00

Wow, that did it!

3 Posts

April 2nd, 2013 19:00

NATAKUC4:

I will likely need to reinstall my 1420 once again.  However, how do I know for sure which WLAN card it has?  You have 3 different options, I thought I had an Intel card, but your intel link goes to a different model # than what I thought I had (ie 3945).

Thanks.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

April 3rd, 2013 01:00

The 4965 and 3945 share the same driver so it will apply to both cards.

Good that you posted though as I have updated the driver set for the Inspiron 1420 on Windows 7 here:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/software-os/w/microsoft_os/4253.unofficial-windows-7-drivers-for-unsupported-but-capable-systems-direct-links.aspx

1 Message

December 2nd, 2013 15:00

I'm running Windows 7 64-bit on my Inspiron 1420.  But there is no "Sleep" option on the power menu.  Do you have a sleep button?

1 Message

March 11th, 2014 20:00

The point on 'Nvidia 8400M GS over-heat warning' by user 'bagman7' is spot on. If you have Nvidia 8400m gs, you must install, specific driver as early as possible. After install of win 7 64bit, with CPUID, you can see gpu temperatures hitting 90C.

But don't go for the latest driver from nvidia website. I initially downloaded nvidia driver 333.21 from nvidia website. But that didn't help as GPU temperature kept on rising even during idling. Finally I downloaded version 179.48 beta [http://www.nvidia.co.uk/object/geforce_notebook_winvista_win7_64bit_179.48_beta_uk.html] version from dell website. That helped in arresting the GPU temperature. Later I saw another nvidia video driver named R200275.exe from [ftp://ftp.dell.com/video/] which I am using now and is going fine for past 3 days. As a precautionary measure, I am now keeping laptop on a cooling pad( fan not running ) and monitoring gpu heat which is at 60C during normal usage.

3 Posts

March 13th, 2014 18:00

Awesome, glad I was helpful.

I have successfully revived the old 1420 and gave it to my stepfather, who is quite happy with it.  Granted, he mostly surfs the web, but still.

1 Message

May 14th, 2014 21:00

That's a Ricoh card reader , and I was able to find the correct driver, and it took care of the issue. You can download from dell R227769.exe

17 Posts

March 6th, 2015 12:00

Hi CrayXPM,

the tell me please the correct driver version of QuickSet, because your posted download link does not work anymore. Could you turn on the option "WiFi Catcher"?

Thanks

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

March 6th, 2015 16:00

1 Rookie

• 

48 Posts

November 22nd, 2016 09:00

That's Weird I also Upgraded my Dell Inspiron 1420 to Windows 7 64 bit and it ran fine with no iusses but was little slow from installing windows tho but i need the drivers for the laptop where could i get them?

January 4th, 2022 03:00

You are advised to upgrade it to Windows 10.I collected 32bit and 64 bit drivers for Inspiron 1420(which I am currently using) and uploaded it to my own website.Check it out : https://sites.google.com/view/dellinspiron1420drivers/brief-guide

No Events found!