Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2010 13:00

Windows 7 x64 BSOD with McAfee Security Center, XPS 8100?

Hello:

Is anyone having a problem with Dell's OEM McAfee SC and Win7 X64, especially on an XPS 8100?

Many purchasers of brand new computers running Win7 x64 are experiencing BSOD trying to install/uninstall/run their OEM McAfee Security Center pre-installed by their computer makers.

By all accounts, there is an inherent, serious OS/Driver incompatibility issue that renders the user's computer essentially unusable.

The errors relate to a McAfee driver:

***Stop:0x000000D1

***mfe.hidk01.sys***

Here are a couple of links to relevant & current threads at the McAfee forums; scroll down for posts from the McAfee moderator, "MARK (Secured2k)" for the official word and the bad news about how the developers at McAfee and MS will need to investigate it to find a solution:

http://community.mcafee.com/thread/21906?start=0&tstart=0

http://community.mcafee.com/message/115233#115233

Alas, efforts to boot into safe mode to delete the file in question, uninstall McAfee, & make other temporary fixes have been unsuccessful (as if the home user should be expected to perform complex repairs on a brand new system!).  And remember, many non-computer-savvy customers wouldn't know what the error codes mean, or how to get help at a forum, or might not be able to do so, if the affected system is their only computer.  So, the # of complaints is likely only the tip of the iceberg.

BAD problem!

I recently placed an order for an XPS 8100 (a new Dell system) running Win 7 x64 and was shocked to find that -- unlike in the past --  I was offered NO choice on the OEM security suite (McAfee was the only option), *and* (even worse) that I could not build a system with NO McAfee pre-installed, so that I could install my preferred ISS. Even worse, the version of McAfee that will no doubt arrive OEM will be *last year's* version, so the chance of getting the BSOD will be enhanced during the necessary uninstall required for proper installation of the 2010 version.

So, I am extremely concerned that my brand new system will have serious problems right out of the box, b/c Dell has forced customers to purchase systems running 3rd-party ISS software that is incompatible (or at the very least inadequately tested) with the W7 X64 OS.  Complaints will no doubt be met by the usual circular firing squad between Dell, MS and McAfee.   The only real losers will be the customers.

Alas, it is too late to cancel my order, since the computer is in production. Given the cost, the uncertainty about this issue, and the fact that I may not even be able to successfully *uninstall*  or update the McAfee suite, I am prepared to return the whole mess without even opening the box.

Is anyone else having any problems like those described?

Thanks,

daledoc1

PS Win7 X64 runs fine on my Dell Latitude E6500 from work, but it runs Webroot ISE, not McAfee. This is a *McAfee* and *Win7* problem.

9 Legend

• 

16.3K Posts

March 22nd, 2010 16:00

Good thing for this "fix" then ... I'm sure all the Dell employees are watching their backs right now and on high alert.  Lame.

263 Posts

March 22nd, 2010 18:00

I had McAfee SC ,OEM, on my xps M2010 when shipped in 07. It was a 3 yr deal that came with the computer which was loaded with Vista 32 bit.  I registered with McAfee. In the last 2 months, I have upgraded to Win 7 64bit. Obviously did a clean install, in fact 3 times before I got it the way I wanted it as I installed a new larger HDD. Everytime I started over,   I downloaded the SC from McAfee support site with no problem

I might suggest you register with McAfee, then uninstall the SC from your unit and download it from the support site. I not saying this is the answer but it has worked for me.

Hope this helps..

Ps It appears like a post disappeared. Wonder why!

1 Message

June 8th, 2010 02:00

I've purchased a Dell XPS 8100 recently.

Nothing seemed wrong with the preinstalled OEM version of Mcafee at first, but it prompted me numerous times to register my Mcafee. When I tried to do so, it showed a little screen trying to connect to somewhere. Then it disappeared and looked like it did nothing.

Because it was being difficult about  updating without registering, I'd thought I'd uninstall, and try again. (I still have a 3-user license internet security 2010 until december 2010).

After installing this I get repeating BSOD's and the computer keeps restarting over and over. After which i have to do a systemrecovery in safemode to get the machine running again

I tried removing the installation and reinstalling again, but after 3 times system recovery, I do not like to try that anymore....

Any word on a fix?

And how do I get my 15 month subscription on Mcafee now I could not register my preinstalled version?

881 Posts

June 8th, 2010 12:00

I had terrible trouble with my new system until I got rid of everything McAfee. To really rid your system you must go to the McAfee site and use the removal tool found there. A normal uninstall from Contol Panel does NOT get rid of all it.

I didn't want to lose the 15 months either since we pay for it in the system price but it was the best move I could have made. The system has been very solid ever since. I don't claim to know the cause of the problems but I do know for a fact what cured them for me. Something is going on with XPS8100 + Win 7 + McAfee = Bad Trouble!

Jeff

1 Message

July 15th, 2011 07:00

I am having the same problem on a Dell XPS 8100. Did not buy with Mcafee installed.I believe Mcafee security center installed on my computer packed with an Adobe update.  I was using webroot and it is due to expire so I uninstalled it. Now Mcafee  is expired (installed 6/15 and expired 6/30) and I want to remove it.  If I use add/remove from control panel then reboot, I get BSOD.  If I start in safe mode then restore to an earlier date then computer works but Mcafee is back.  Spent hours on the phone with Mcafee yesterday.  Unable to reboot in safe mode with networking.Tech support took control of the computer and ran their removal tool and it went BSOD for them!  Got left on ignore/hold for 30+ minutes then disconnected. Called back and tech support said previous tech's notes state it was removed. Mcafee claims it is a hardware problem-HA. Tried to install Kaspersky Internet Security and it can't install because Mcafee is still installed.  Dell tech support ran a scan and hardware is fine which I knew.  Computer is 6 months old and have never had a problem until now.  Experienced BSOD atleast 9 times yesterday and computer is worthless.  Please tell me how to rid my machine of all of Mcafee so I can install a protection plan of my choice.  I see this problem all over the internet so I know I am not alone.  HELP.

11 Posts

July 15th, 2011 08:00

No Events found!