Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 18th, 2015 12:00

Windows 8 - Dell Backup and Recovery Won't Let Me Make a "System Backup"

I have a Dell Inspiron 660s and I want to make a "System Backup," but Dell's Backup and Recovery won't let me make one.  When I choose that option, the windows to choose from "External," "Local," "Scheduled," and "Manual" are all grayed out and I can't do anything.

I'm a little peeved because Dell doesn't provide Windows disks with their products.  They also will not provide Disks if your Warranty is up.  Dell wants us to use Backup and Recovery, yet I can't use that, either.  Are you kidding me?

Can someone out here tell me how I get this to actually WORK?  This computer is less than 2 years old and I've had so many problems already.  Luckily, I was able to salvage to this point, but seriously, I don't trust this machine to last as it should for the price we pay.  I want to use this System Backup.  Help please?

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 19th, 2015 10:00

:emotion-2:

1. If you didn't do so, try upgrading your Dell Backup and recovering to the lastest version

2.If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling it

4 Operator

• 

6.4K Posts

May 19th, 2015 12:00

I meant to say "updating".....:emotion-2:

1. If you didn't do so yet, try updating your Dell Backup and recovering to the lastest version

2.If that doesn't work, try uninstalling and reinstalling it

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

May 19th, 2015 13:00

You cannot make a system image with the basic free version of DBR. However--Windows does have the utility to make one. Open File History and the link for System Image is in the lower left. You need an external hard drive to save the image safely. An image should not be saved to disks. That never works. Also make repair-recovery dvd to access the system image on the ext drive for when the computer internal hard drive cannot be accessed

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

May 19th, 2015 14:00

See here to use Dell Backup and Recovery:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/dell-backup-and-recovery-1-8-1-71/

Alternatively see here to download a Windows 8.1 with Update 1 .isos and prepare a bootable USB for the Dell OEM License with the UEFI BIOS and SecureBoot:

http://dellwindowsreinstallationguide.com/download-microsoft-windows-and-office/download-microsoft-windows/download-windows-8-1-retail-and-oem-iso/

No Events found!