Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 23rd, 2012 20:00

Windows 8 on Inspiron 530

Hello everyone!

I am interested in upgrading my Inspiron 530 to Inspiron 530 64 bit from Windows Vista 32 bit. Is this possible?

I cannot find a definitive answer on the subject after a decent amount of internet searching.

Inspiron 530

Intel Quad Q6600

Motherboard: 0F586

Ram: 4 GIG DDR2

Graphics: Radeon HD 5670

BIOS: 1.0.13 (03/20/2008)

Thank you so much for any information I really appreciate it :)

19 Posts

October 28th, 2012 18:00

Just wanted to update everyone. I successfully upgraded from vista 32 bit to windows 8 64 bit! :D

I had to boot into the install disc and do a clean install. It didn't take at first because I kept the install disc in the tray after it installed and rebooted. You kind of have to wait for it say it is restarting then grab it out really quick.

Also, I had my dual monitor hooked up while trying to install and that was causing it to hang on the install screen (getting ready). Once I unplugged the secondary monitor and made sure to take the disc out after it was done installing it worked!

On a side note, I actually love this OS. every one of my main programs work so far and even the games I have on steam downloaded and saved my progress :o I also had 2 2gig ram sticks doing nothing (which is exactly what I had installed) and put them on the remaining 2 slots free and now have 8 gigs total no problem at all. Very happy.

All in all well work the time and awesome price!

Thank you everyone for you time and effort on this!

• 

3.3K Posts

October 23rd, 2012 22:00

Hi atg284 ,

This system has an option to upgrade from 32 bit to windows vista 64 bit operating system. There are also drivers available for the same. However if you install windows 8, dell does not have drivers to support the same on Inspiron 530. You may have to work with native drivers.

19 Posts

October 24th, 2012 09:00

Thanks for the quick response! So does that mean I can use the existing drivers and it should be fine? Would I just be able to install windows 8 without any problems? I've read things saying that the windows 7 drivers would most likely work with Win 8. Basically, will it work? Will I have to do anything special with drivers or just put in the disc and install? Thanks again for any information.

19 Posts

October 24th, 2012 10:00

Well I have already preordered Win PRO 8 so it looks like this will be quite the adventure :)

Thanks for the responses and if anyone else has any more info please let me know! I appreciate the time invested to help me !

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

October 24th, 2012 10:00

First, Dell is not going to support Windows 8 on the 530 (they don't even support Windows 7).  This doesn't mean it won't work, just that Dell will not provide any drivers for it.  These may or may not be necessary.  Windows 8 will have many drivers built-in (native), but if it does not, or the native drivers do not work properly, it will be up to you to find ones that do work.  You might find these by going directly to the device manufacturers' websites, or by using other 'compatible' drivers - Windows 7 or even Windows Vista (since only Vista is supported on the 530,  you will either have to try a Vista driver or find another system that has the same device that does support Windows 7 ... if a driver is needed).

Also, you will need to do a 'clean' install of Windows 8, as there is NO way to 'upgrade' directly from 32-bit to 64-bit while keeping the OS intact.

19 Posts

October 24th, 2012 15:00

Sorry the original inquiry was suppose to read "I am interested in upgrading my Inspiron 530 from Vista 32 bit to Windows 8 64 bit."

1 Message

February 4th, 2013 00:00

how did you select 64 bit? i just formatted c and did clean install but never got asked if i wanted 32 or 64 bit. it still ended up 32 bit.

No Events found!