Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 18th, 2006 01:00

Windows Installer appears in every startup!!

Hi there,

I got this problem recently. Every time I turn  my computer on, or after each restart I get this Windows Installer window!!! I dont know what it is trying to install. Is this due to a spyware or something else is involved?

Thanks for your time,

1.4K Posts

February 18th, 2006 03:00

See if this is any help:

14 Posts

February 18th, 2006 05:00

I dont know which program is trying to install something. So solutions 1 & 3 wont work fro me. As for solution 2, first of all I could not open the Group Policy Editor (I tried both gpedit.msc and mmc.exe). Second, If I could, it seems that this would permanantly diactivates the windows installer which I assume I need for installing and uninstalling programs...

thanks for your help...

2.7K Posts

February 18th, 2006 13:00

Let the Installer run a bit longer and you should see what it is trying to install. You will be able to cancel the installation before it has finished.

Here is Microsoft`s way of fixing it.
Windows Installer CleanUp Utility
Read the instructions here before using it.  There is a download link too

You will see a list of all installed programs, but just use this utility to remove the Installer for the program causing the problem

If you use this utility to remove the Windows Installer configuration information for your program and you plan to reinstall the program, you should reinstall the program in the same folder where you originally installed it. This prevents duplication of files on your hard disk or disks.

February 18th, 2006 14:00

start>run>msconfig>Startup>and most likely its the Microsoft Office thing.....i had the same exact problem so i disabled Office on startup and now its fine

14 Posts

February 18th, 2006 16:00

I have not canceled the installer even once. In fact there is no cancel button there. Windows Installer appears for a couple of seconds with the progress bar and when its complete. the whole window disappears and I am good to go.

Also, there is no office in my startup.

regards,

No Events found!