Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 10th, 2013 23:00

Windows Operating system needed

Hi. I have a Dell Latitude E5400 Laptop. I bought it off of ebay preinstalled with microsoft windows and office already installed. Owned the computer for about a year or so, and all of a sudden my computer started freezing up, and eventually rebooted saying it couldn't find my hard drive. I did searches everywhere and found that my HDD was fried. So I went out and got a new SATA 2.5" drive and installed it only to realize that I didn't have the software for the windows operating system. I have operating systems for other computers but I need it for this specific model. How do I obtain the correct software to reinstall the operating sytem and necessary components? Thank you.

6 Professor

• 

8.8K Posts

June 11th, 2013 00:00

There may be reinstallation discs you can order if you're registered as the owner and you're a U.S. customer. If that's the case, contact Support via the chatline. I'm not sure about non-registered owners or non-U.S. customers.

If that's not an option and the OS is Windows 7, you can download an install ISO from Digital River, burn it to disc, use it to install and activate it with the product key on your COA.

3.3K Posts

June 11th, 2013 02:00

Hi Windrazor1,

We need to use a Dell OEM Operating disk to reinstall operating system on the computer.

Dell OEM disk are pre activated and doesnot require a product key for that.

Kindly private message me the service tag of the computer. To private message the service tag click my User name and click Start conversation.

Awaiting your response!

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 11th, 2013 09:00

Or ...

You can download and install using Retail media, then activate over the phone with Microsoft (not Dell):

www.heidoc.net/.../14-windows-7-direct-download-links

In the US you can request a disc here:

support.dell.com/.../backupcd_form

As mentioned, you must be the registered owner, so if you are not yet the registered owner, you can do a transfer here:

www.dell.com/.../IdentifySystem

11 Posts

June 11th, 2013 21:00

I've sent you two messages now.  Awaiting your reply.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 11th, 2013 21:00

You'll need to wait until his next shift.  If it were me, I would simply fill out the form for a replacement disc now (if you are the registered owner - which you will also need to be for Rajesh to be able to do anything), or just download the Retail version now and get started.

7 Technologist

• 

16K Posts

June 12th, 2013 02:00

Also have a look at this wiki Windows Reinstallation Guide/A Clean install of Windows 7:

http://philipyip.wordpress.com/dell-community-forums/ 

It will instruct you how to clean install Windows 7 on your Dell with optimum results.

11 Posts

June 12th, 2013 19:00

yeah I'm sure I'm not considered the "registered owner" since its a used computer and I've never come on here before about anything else.  I filled out the forms to be the registered user but it says I'd have to wait like 10 to 14 days for it to be in  my name.    I can't download a disk because I'm using the internet from my playstation 3 right now.  I wouldn't know how I'd be able to download something like that with the ps3.   And the whole thing about wiki windows 7 or whatever.. .  I don't know anything about that either since I had windows xp.  I know I don't like windows vista.  I don't know much about windows 7 or 8 either.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

"I filled out the forms to be the registered user but it says I'd have to wait like 10 to 14 days for it to be in  my name."

It rarely takes that long.  Typically, it is 1-2 business days.

What OS version does it list on your COA sticker/label (maybe under the battery)?

11 Posts

I should say.. that I have discs for windows operating systems for windows xp for my HP Compaq desktop computer as well as Windows XP for a Dell Optiplex desktop computer, but I don't know if I can use either of those since I have a Dell Latitude Laptop, and the OS might be different.  Either that or if I did use one, I'd have to figure out how to get it switched over to Laptop settings.

11 Posts

June 12th, 2013 21:00

COA?  Well this is interesting.  The sticker says Windows 7 Pro OA.  Yet before my hard drive crashed, I was using Windows XP Professional.  I have the product key listed there as well.   Even with this information, I'm not sure how much of this would help  unless you are wondering if one of the disks I have would work for a laptop.   Otherwise I can't download anything to this laptop yet without an OS

11 Posts

June 12th, 2013 22:00

ok.. so if I was to use the Dell Optiplex disc and install windows 7, will it have the applications for a laptop, or will it be uploaded as a desktop?  The reason I ask is because I believe the settings are different as I use Wifi, yet, I'm not sure how the wifi part was set up (so I don't have to run a cord everywhere I go).  Also, as far as being the registered owner/user of the system, how will I know when ownership has been transferred?  When I filled out the form it said it can take up to 10 business days but then later said up to 15 business days.  It asked me to input as much information as I could such as a previous company owner etc.. but I bought this used from a third party I believe.  It was either off of ebay or from someone I used to work with, but since I've made other trades and purchases I don't recall which way I acquired the system so I left the previous company as unknown.  If windows 7 is the way to go.. I believe the disk for the optiplex covers 7 as well.  But I'd have to check.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

Windows 7 Pro qualifies for "downgrade rights" to Vista Business or XP Pro, so having a COA read Windows 7 Pro, it isn't so strange that it would be running XP ... the license covers either.

So, the question is, which OS do you want to run?  I would STRONGLY recommend Windows 7.  Why?  With Windows 7 as an option, Vista is pointless; and XP faces End Of Life in less than a year (no more security/stability updates, etc.), not to mention that it is much more difficult to install (Windows 7 will be fairly/relatively simple).

Installation discs for HP/Compaq will not work; they are usually locked down to work only on HP/Compaq systems (and often only certain models).

The XP disc for your OptiPlex will work, but again, I would recommend against XP.  (Laptop vs. desktop makes no difference - the installation disc is the same.)

I would hold out for an installation disc from Dell, if you can't download it.  However, you may be able to download a Retail copy from Digital River and create an installation DVD/USB at work, a public library, a friend's house, or a local university.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

There is no difference between Windows for a laptop and Windows for a desktop.  Every system, regardless of system type (laptop, desktop) uses the same Windows software, then you load drivers specific to the hardware (wireless, touchpad, etc.) of the system in question.

I though you said you had an XP disc (not Windows 7) for an OptiPlex.  Windows discs are one or the other - you wouldn't have a single disc that could install XP or 7.

"how will I know when ownership has been transferred"

You will usually receive an email.  If not, you can submit the form to find out.  If you were still under warranty, you could call to find out.  You can leave "previous owner" information as unknown.

11 Posts

June 12th, 2013 23:00

My apologies, I was getting confused, because I thought you made it sound like my installation disk had windows 7 on it as well as windows xp.  I just double checked and its windows xp.  Unless I can use windows xp and then go to one of those links that were mentioned before to upgrade to windows 7.  Maybe I can't do that, I don't know.  I could probably hook up a cord to install the drivers I need.  Except I'm not sure as to which ones i actually need and all.  but I'll start by using this xp disk.  on a side note, I messaged Dell support asking how to obtain a installation disk, and one of their morons there keeps replying to me, "You need to obtain a disk before we can help any further".  Just makes me irritated if you know what I mean.

7 Technologist

• 

16.3K Posts

June 13th, 2013 09:00

"Unless I can use windows xp and then go to one of those links that were mentioned before to upgrade to windows 7.  Maybe I can't do that, I don't know."

You can, and in the end, it would be worth it, but it is an awful lot of work.  XP can be a bugger to install.  You wouldn't really have to do "everything" ... just enough to download and create a Windows 7 DVD.

I could help you figure out which drivers you need ... you'll just need a way to download them and put them on a CD or USB to copy them over to the computer.

No Events found!