Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2008 17:00

Windows Service Pack 3

I have my computer set up to automatically search for updates from Microsoft--and I believe that is a good thing. It now wants me to add service pack 3 and from everything I have seen and read about SP 3 it appears that it is not such a good thing. I am not real technical, but know enough to be dangerous.

I don't really want to add service pack 3 at this point, but it doesn't look like I have any choice. When I clicked on the updates icon, I couldn't find any way to cancel the update.

I also read the steps recommended by microsoft to do before doing the update and one of them ws about making sure you have administrator privileges. I clicked on Start>run?entered the command compmgmt.msc and hit enter. I then expanded system tools and I should have seen a line called local users and groups. I did NOT. So I could not go any further. I have also tried to delete and autoloader(teatimer) and that failed becase it appeared I do not have administrator privileges. I thougth when I first set my computer up, I did that, but apparently it is gone.

Sorry for the long story.

How can I get the update for service pack 3 cancelled and still be able to add future Microsoft updates to sp2.

I have a Dell Dimention 3000 , P4 @2.8ghz, 1 Gig of ram, McAfee security Suite, Windows XP home SP 2

Thanks so much for any help

Rich 

9 Legend

• 

30.3K Posts

September 27th, 2008 18:00

If you don't want SP3, then if it installs, you can always un-install SP3 in the control panel, add/remove programs, show updates.

Then go to automatic updates and select, notify about updates and you can choose what updates to install or not or you can tell it not to update and then manually go to Windows Updates and download and install what you want.

I have installed SP3 from the begining and had no problems with it. My problems were with Internet Explorer 7. I un-installed Internet Explorer 7 and I'm back to Internet Explorer 6 with SP3. I Use Mozilla Firefox whenevre possible but Internet Explorer 7 disabled my phone tools program, a spyware removal tool and my camera software. When I go back to IE6 everything worked again.

12.7K Posts

September 28th, 2008 01:00

Download SP3 from the link below and save it to a folder of choice that is easy to find later on, then Boot into safe mode, this is the built in admin account in XP home, then install SP3 using the file you downloaded earlier.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=5B33B5A8-5E76-401F-BE08-1E1555D4F3D4&displaylang=en

To boot into safe mode, restart the PC, then start tapping F8 at the Dell logo to get the windows advanced screen, highlight safe mode, then hit enter.

9 Legend

• 

16K Posts

September 28th, 2008 07:00

When service pack 3 came out I downloaded the standalone version and slipstreamed it doing a clean install. Except for the one with MCE I done a clean install, then put Service Pack 3 and drivers on it.

4.4K Posts

September 29th, 2008 00:00

I think some are missing the original question from the OP.

From the OP:

How can I get the update for service pack 3 cancelled and still be able to add future Microsoft updates to sp2. 

He doesn't want to install it.  So downloading SP3 or slipstreaming it doesn't really get him where he wants to go.

I would suggest to turn off automatic update so that it will not automatically download and install it.  Then every so often go to Windows update web page and do a manual update.  Just do not select SP3.

I have to do this with a couple of computers I have becasue SP3 does some strange things to them.

3 Posts

September 29th, 2008 01:00

Definitely turn off the automatic updates. I have an Optiplex 745 with a c2d 6600 at 2.5 ghz and service pack 3 was downloaded and it completely hosed up my computer. I now have the black screen of death appearing wherever I look and whatever I try. No more auto updates once I get this fixed.

31 Posts

September 29th, 2008 12:00

Bay Wolf-Thanks for reading the post thoroughly. That is exactly what I wanted to do.

I have changed my Microsoft update to: notify me don't  automatically download or install them. I also clicked on the update icon on the system tray and selected custom update. I then unchecked service pack 3 and clicked on close the then I got a dialogue box that allowed me to click another box that said don't notify me again about this update. The Icon has now disappeared, so it looks like I have actually cancelled the update. I'm hoping by using notify, I can select what I want and I can keep eliminating sp3 from the list they send.

Thanks to the others for your suggestions.

No Events found!