Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 4th, 2007 01:00

Windows Vista Hotkeys Question

Well I just bought a new Dell Inspiron 1720 Notebook with Windows Vista and I am trying to configure it for me, specifically the hotkeys.

I read about all its pre-installed hotkeys like:
Fn + F1 --> Sleep
Fn + F3 --> Battery Info
Fn + F5 --> Scroll Lock
Fn + F8 --> Display Options
etc..

I was wondering if it is possible to create my own hotkeys? I want to create one that makes it so instead of having to sleep my computer every time I want it to rest I have a hotkey to just turn off the screen (I have it set so that my screen turns off after 5 min of no activity anyway but I want a hotkey to do it instantly)

Also, can anybody tell me what exactly happens when I close the lid of my laptop while it is still on? I did it once and it took a really long time to boot up for some reason and I just want to know what it is doing and if it is possible to change it to just sleeping or any option that turns my laptop back on to its previous programs and such asap.

Thanks for the help in advance.

, Chris

P.S. I hope I put this in the correct section, no other section really seemed appropriate (other than notebooks but it had no real forum for this particular area).

4 Posts

October 4th, 2007 01:00

Uhmm that didn't really answer my question, I had already read through those, they don't mention anything about creating your own hotkeys or what closing the laptop lid does or editing hokeys, they just tell you the standard QuickSet ones...which I already knew as I described in my first post: "Fn + F1 > Sleep"

12.7K Posts

October 4th, 2007 02:00

How about Fn Esc,"Activates a power management mode" configure power management to do what you want.

You can make keyboard shortcuts to open programs, but nothing advanced like you want.

Closing the lid? depends on how Power Management is configured, as to what will happen. Stand by, hibernate, ect. Even if you disable everything in PM, it should turn the monitor off regardless of these settings.

I don't always answer questions directly, point you in the right direction first, I have no clue what you have read or done, or to what extent you have researched the questions before posting.

Hope this helps.

Message Edited by mombodog on 10-03-2007 10:36 PM

4 Posts

October 4th, 2007 03:00

Okay thank you, I changed some settings. So there is no way for me to create an Fn + to deactivate the touchpad or turn off the screen? Because most laptops have that as a standard....

12.7K Posts

October 4th, 2007 04:00

"So there is no way"

I would not go that far, but it is beyond me how to do it.

You might try a post over here http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=4  if you get no more responses here.

1.9K Posts

October 4th, 2007 14:00

Why do you want to deactive the touchpad??? Do you want to beactivate when you plug a USB one? There's a setting for that on the Mouse properties window, where it will deactivate.

Also by closing the computer's lid you'll make the screen to go off. Of course using the correct power state mode. And I'm talking about the just turne the screen off, not sleep, or hibernate.

Message Edited by GioAguilar on 10-04-2007 10:50 AM

2.4K Posts

October 6th, 2007 19:00

Let me know if this fits the bill ? http://www.autohotkey.com/
No Events found!