Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 2nd, 2008 20:00

Windows XP Corrupt File

Hey, my Inspiron 6000 laptop runs Windows XP Home Edition and it recently had an error with Windows stating there was a corrupt file (\WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM). I found this old thread with instructions as to how to fix the problem, but the article the thread linked to left it unclear to me whether or not this solution would wipe my previous three year's worth of data and files from my hard drive. Does this soltion in this article wipe the hard drive or not? If it does, is there a way to fix my problem without losing my files?

This is the old thread I mentioned above and the microsoft support article is in the second post:

http://en.community.dell.com/forums/p/18573692/18696678.aspx#18696678  

2.9K Posts

December 2nd, 2008 20:00

Winner2888,

I assume that you're referring to the Microsoft resolution for a corrupt registry:  http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=307545

As noted in that KB article:  "This procedure does not guarantee full recovery of the system to a previous state; however, you should be able to recover data when you use this procedure."

Basically, this means that the procedure will get Windows XP up and running at whatever good restore point you choose during the repair process.  The procedure, if followed to the letter, should not affect existing data files such as documents, spreadsheets, music, photos, videos, etc.  It does not "wipe" or "format" the hard drive.  It only replaces your corrupt registry with a good one

Tony

14.4K Posts

December 3rd, 2008 14:00

You can try two things

you can open a run prompt and type sfc /scannow. Have your OS handy and let the program scan for missing/damaged system files.

Or you could try a repair reinstall

Again you will need your installtion disk

1 Message

December 5th, 2008 10:00

Hi, I'm new to the forum and having difficulties finding my way around it. Please could someone help me with my computer? I have a Dell Dimension 3000 Desktop PC computer and I cannot boot/load Windows XP. I get the following error message when I start up my computer "Windows could not start because of the following file is missing or corrupt /WINDOWS/SYSTEM 32/CONFIG/SYTEM".

Is anyone able to help me? I tried to put the Windows XP system disc into my computer but it would not repair itself.

I would be grateful for any help pls.  Thank you.

14.4K Posts

December 5th, 2008 11:00

Foxymint

Not exactly sure what steps you tried can you be a bit more specific

2 Posts

December 6th, 2008 10:00

Thanks for clarifying that for me. After I saw your reply I went ahead with the steps on the Microsoft Support Site, but in Part 1 Step 5, after typing MD TMP in the command prompt, I recieved the meassage "access denied." I tried skipping this line and typed the second line into the prompt but recieved the same message. What am I doing wrong?

No Events found!