Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 14th, 2010 08:00

Windows XP Home Edition

I have a Dell Dimension 4600 and I want to revert back to the original factory condition of my computer.  I backed up all my files and followed the instructions that are in the Dell Owner's Manual to reinstall the Windows operating system.  I have the CD rom as well and the CD rom of the drivers, etc.

I followed the instructions to the best of my ability. 

I can boot up the computer.  However,  I noticed that when I go to "Properties" of my C drive, the hard drive is practically full.  There is about only 10 GB of free space out of 80 GB, the full capacity of the hard drive.  I don't recall this was the situation when my system was new.  At that time, it had more free disk space. 

What did I do wrong in the re-installation process?  How can I rectify this?

Thanks for your help.

Mike

12.7K Posts

February 14th, 2010 12:00

You did what is called an overlay install, start over, when you get to the part in setup where it shows you the partitions on the hard drive, select the largest partition and delete it, then when that is done there will be an unallocated partition show up, select that to install XP on.

This is called a clean Install.

20 Posts

February 15th, 2010 13:00

Thanks for your prompt response.  I will follow your suggestion and let you know of its outcome.  Thanks again. 

No Events found!