Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

D

September 13th, 2008 12:00

Windows XP Login Logout Loop

This describes my problem. It happened over night: My computer (which runs Windows XP) starts normally. The Windows splash screen appears correctly and then the login prompt correctly loads. You can then enter your user name and password like normal, but as soon as you try to login you are IMMEDIATELY logged back out again. The desktop doesn’t even load. It moves immediately back to the login window where you can then enter your user name. No matter how many times you try to login you always experience this immediate logout. Even if you try to login to the computer in safe mode you still experience the same problem. I moved my problem to this site as I think it is really a XP issue. Not sure if it is a virus or just what. I have read several stories on the internet on simular issues but not sure I can trust them.

12.7K Posts

September 13th, 2008 13:00

1.no guarantee's, you should have a backup copy of important files! this procedure does not touch any personal files

2. Yes.

89 Posts

Also the only CD I have is the: Reinstallation CD: Microsoft Windows XP Home addition. I suppose that is the CD I need.

89 Posts

Will this have any affect on my files on my hard drive? I hope not.

12.7K Posts

Cause: A virus 

Issue this addresses: after selecting a user when logging into WinXP, you see the desktop (no icons) and it then immediately logs you off (with no error messages).
aka: the "logon-logoff loop"

1 - Boot the system using the Windows XP CD.

2 - In the first screen when the Setup begins, read the instructions press "R" (in the first screen) enter the Recovery Console.

3 - Type in the Administrator password to enter the Console. Sometimes leaving the password blank and hitting enter works.

*if password is unknown or not working, boot from a Win2k CD

4 - You'll see the prompt reading c:\windows (or c:\winnt)

5 - Type the following command and press Enter: "CD SYSTEM32" no quotes (if that does not work, try CHDIR SYSTEM32).

6 - Type the following command and press Enter: "COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE"   no quotes

7 - Quit Recovery Console by typing "EXIT" no quotes, and restart Windows.

You'll be able to login successfully as you've created the wsaupdater.exe file (now, a copy of userinit.exe)

8 - Click Start, Run and type "regedit". Navigate to: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\WindowsNT\CurrentVersion\Winlogon]

9 - In the right-pane, change the value of Userinit to "C:\WINDOWS\system32\userinit.exe,"
*type the above value exactly as given, including the comma - exclude the quotes.

10 - Close Registry Editor and restart Windows.

11 - Manually update and Re run your AV when you get into Windows.

89 Posts

September 13th, 2008 14:00

Is there anyway I can get to the files on my HD and copy them to a disk? Mainly pictures. But like you say this procudure should not touch personal files.

89 Posts

September 13th, 2008 14:00

One more question. Roughly how long does this process take or should take for a rookie that has never done this before.

12.7K Posts

September 13th, 2008 15:00

The process to get it to logon properly is short, but removing the virus may take longer. If you don't get the virus removed the problem is likely to happen agaiin.

"Is there anyway I can get to the files on my HD and copy them to a disk"

You can remove the hard drive from the PC, install it a USB hard drive external enclosure, connect it to another PC and copy off any files you need.

89 Posts

September 13th, 2008 22:00

Ok I made it though step 7 from your instructions above. Exited and went on to windows and still takes me to the same step. I am unclear on the rest of the step. I cannot get to a spot to start run ect. 

12.7K Posts

September 13th, 2008 23:00

So you are saying nothing changed, you still have the logon logoff loop.

89 Posts

Correct. I only went through step 7 of your instructions above.
Message Edited by David45 on 09-13-2008 07:35 PM

12.7K Posts

When you enetered the first command, it should look like this afterwards

C:\Windows\System32

then you type in the next command   COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

it should look like this before you hit enter

C:\Windows\System32 COPY USERINIT.EXE WSAUPDATER.EXE

be sure spaces are included, capitalization is not mandatory, spelling is.

Try it again.

If this fails to work you will need to do a "repair" install of XP

http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/How-to-repair-Windows-XP-t138.html

89 Posts

September 14th, 2008 00:00

Still no luck :( for me. I re-verified and re-followed your instructions. Following the other repair process it should not impact my personal files / data correct. I have never done this before. Or would you recommend me taking it somewhere in the Austin area to be fixed.

89 Posts

I have a feeling SpyBot did this to me. I was doing some other reading and others experienced this when they updated SpyBot and did not do a un-install of the old version.

89 Posts

I do have pictures / music I do not want to lose. I will go purchase a external drive tomorrow. I guess those come with everything I need to do this. So I should remove the HD from my system and some how hook it up to the external drive via a USB?

12.7K Posts

If you have data that you cannot afford to lose, I suggest removing the hard drive, put it in a USB external drive enclosure and copy your data to another location, put the drive back in and try the repair process.

The repair process does not touch any user files, just the underlying OS files, but when it comes to irreplaceable data, take no chances.

Most all Repair facilities all have a disclaimer that they are Not responsible for your data. They feel it is your responsibilty to keep important data backed up elsewhere.

Message Edited by mombodog on 09-13-2008 08:43 PM
No Events found!