Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 15th, 2006 19:00

Windows XP Repair

I have a Dimension 4700 system that my son uses. It is totally unusable and I attempted to reinstall the OS using the repair process. Everything works great until after I setup the network and it asks me where to find migregdb.ex_ and to make sure the Windows XP CD includes service pack 2. All of this is true and I browse the CD to the i386 directory and the file is sitting right there. I select it to be copied and the install reports that it can't find the file to copy. Has anyone seen this? Is there a way to get the Windows XP Cd for a machine purchased over a year ago?

Thanks

2.4K Posts

October 15th, 2006 19:00

hi

try copy the file migregdb.ex_ to c:

4 Operator

• 

20.1K Posts

October 15th, 2006 20:00

How about using PC Restore? It will return your computer to "as shipped" condition, so you will lose all personal files and Windows updates. Be sure to update as soon as restore is done. Contact Dell for an operating system cd if you no longer have the Restore partition.

570 Posts

October 15th, 2006 22:00

Or use XP CD with SP2.

2 Posts

October 16th, 2006 03:00

I am using the Windows XP cd that came with the PC. I do not have a cd marked PC Restore and the computer no longer operates. What am I missing? I have attempted every way I can find to contact dell support for information on PC Restore and they want to charge me for it. I simply want to repair the OS on the machine so I can get the data from the machine and then will replace the OS.

12K Posts

October 16th, 2006 07:00

Can you boot into Safe Mode to save the data?  If not, with the machine being that unstable, you may need to get another drive and slave the old drive to the new in order to get the data saved.  (Installing a fresh copy of XP on the new drive).
No Events found!