Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

September 27th, 2008 23:00

Windows XP Setup does not recognize hard drive when attempting to reformat and reinstall OS

Hey,

I''m attempting to reformat my C drive, and reinstall windows xp on it. Ive been through pretty much every dell online instruction, as well as other instructions on how to do this. When I insert my windows xp cd and boot to that cd, the blue setup screen comes up just like it should. I go ahead and get to the point to where the setup asks what partition to install the os on, and then there is the problem. I have 3 hard drives on my computer, and it recognizes only one of them- the much older one that i barely use and dont want to install on. The other two, a raptor 70gb hard drive and another maxtor hard drive are not recognized. I know that xp is compatible on the raptor drive, the drive i wish to install xp on, because I have xp on it right now. So the question is how can i reformat and install the windows xp on a drive that for some reason is not recognized by the xp setup? How can i get the drive to be regonized? This has been extremely frustrating, so any help would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Matt

12.7K Posts

September 28th, 2008 01:00

Yup, and as soon as we know what system it is, we can point them to the correct drivers.

Great website by the way.

4.4K Posts

The OP will probably need RAID and SATA drivers.

12.7K Posts

Please post your model of Dell, so others can help you.

4.4K Posts

September 28th, 2008 02:00

Thanks for the compliment.

I didn't point the OP to the correct drivers for the same reason.  Don't know which ones.

No Events found!