Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

December 26th, 2008 08:00

Windows XP could not start

I have a DELL Dimension 4500S, which the previous owner "cleaned" before giving it to me.  When I start it, I get the following message: "Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt: \system32\hal.dll  Please re-install a copy of the above file."  How does one re-install a copy of a file when Windows cannot start?  I thought I could just re-install Windows XP Professional from the reinstallation CD that came with the computer, but the system is apparently not set up to boot from the CD-drive.  It looks as if it attempts to boot from the floppy drive, but I don't have a floppy boot disk.

Can anyone help, please?

1.9K Posts

December 26th, 2008 09:00

" I thought I could just re-install Windows XP Professional from the reinstallation CD that came with the computer, but the system is apparently not set up to boot from the CD-drive.  It looks as if it attempts to boot from the floppy drive, but I don't have a floppy boot disk."

When you turn on the computer press ( tap repeatedly ) the F2 key to go into BIOS and set the boot order or press F12 ( tap repeatedly ) to go to the one time boot menu and select the CDROM as the boot device.

pcgeek11

December 26th, 2008 11:00

So simple!   Thanks

No Events found!