Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

L

August 8th, 2006 17:00

Windows XP installation Problem--reformatting unpartioned space

I have recently had to reinstall my Windows XP operating system, which I have done successfully in the past. However, when trying to reinstall this time, my computer is getting stuck during the part where I must reformat the unpartioned space that I am trying to install the OS on.
What could be causing this and how can I correct this problem?
Thank you for ANY help or advice, I'm getting desperate.
I am using a Dell Dimension 2400 and the Windows XP disc that came with the computer.

6.4K Posts

August 8th, 2006 18:00

Did you remember to create a new partition after you deleted the old C partition?  You can't format until you have done that.

4 Posts

August 8th, 2006 18:00

Yes. I can get to the point where it begins formatting the space. If I choose the "quick" option it stops at 20% completed and if I choose the standard option it remains at 0%.

6.4K Posts

August 8th, 2006 19:00

First thing to try is to start over; delete the partition you created and create a partition again.  The format program is not seeing something back from the drive that it expects.  If you continue to have the problem, use the drivers and utilities disk and run the diagnostic on the drive.

Most of the Win XP operating system can be located anywhere on a partition, but the initial boot sectors are fixed as the bios will not otherwise find them.  If there is a problem in this area I don't think the drive is usable as a boot drive.

1 Rookie

• 

68 Posts

August 8th, 2006 19:00

Are you formatting Fat32 or NTFS?

2 Intern

• 

18.8K Posts

August 8th, 2006 21:00

Lauren577,

Can you boot to the point where you can access the Dell diagnostics by pressing F12? If so run the diagnostics on the hard disk. It sounds like it is failing/has failed.

4 Posts

August 9th, 2006 13:00

Yes, I can run the diagnostics. I ran the overall quick test of everything and that came back that everything is working properly....

4 Posts

August 9th, 2006 13:00

I am formatting NTFS
No Events found!