Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

December 16th, 2008 05:00

Windows XP reinstall freezes

I have a dell inspiron laptop and I am trying to reinstall windows XP to eliminate an automated update issue. I have been trying for two days and the reinstall freezes on the "setting up networking" phase. Any ideas?

2 Posts

December 16th, 2008 08:00

unfortunately, the computer will not let me get to the cd to access certain files. I can shut it down and even enter the boot sequence; however, it asks for the windows cd and begins the installation process once again, freezing again when it gets to networking.

thank you

• 

16.7K Posts

pb40,

Thank you for using the Dell Community Forum.

Skip that part of the install. Once windows is installed you can then install the drivers. After the drivers install you should be able to connect to the network without having any problems

3.4K Posts

Hello,

And be sure to follow the required order of install list ...

Note: Some devices may not function properly if the drivers are installed out of order.

Install your version of Windows.

Install the following software and drivers in the order listed below.

***** 1.***** Desktop System Software (DSS) or Notebook System Software (NSS) - A vital utility that provides critical updates and patches for the operating system. If you are reinstalling the operating system or updating all the computer’s drivers, it is imperative that this software be installed first.
This is located under the System and Configuration Utilities Category on the Drivers and Downloads page. The DSS or NSS may not be required for some systems that shipped with Windows Vista installed. If your download page has a DSS or NSS file, "It is required".
2. Chipset - Helps Windows control system board components and controllers. This is located under the Chipset Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
3. Video Adapter - Enhances video performance. This is located under the Video Adapter Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
4. Network Interface Card (NIC) - Enhances the network controller for Internet or network access. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
5. Audio Adapter - Enables and enhances the audio controller. This is located under the Audio Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
6. Modem - Allows dialup capability. This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
7. Wireless Network Card - Enables and enhances the wireless network controller. This is located under the Network Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
8. Touchpad, Pointer, Trackstick, Mice, and Keyboards - Enhances the pointing device features. This is located under the Mouse & Keyboards Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
9. Other Devices
* Bluetooth Module
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* Dell Wireless Mobile Broadband Cards
This is located under the Communication Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.
* PCMCIA/Smartcard controller
This is located under the Security Category on the Drivers and Downloads page.

Dell drivers and downloads page http://support.dell.com/support/downloads/. Input your service tag number to get the required drivers for your system, 'as shipped'.

NOTE: If your system download page offers a DSS or NSS file in the 'System and Configuration Utilities' Category. And you have already tried to install some drivers, you will need to reboot in Safe Mode to install the DSS or NSS file, and the chipset. Then reboot the system and install the rest of the drivers in the correct order.

4.6K Posts

December 16th, 2008 09:00

Welcome to the forums :emotion-5:

Did you not have a 'Restore' partition on your laptop?

You won't have it now, unfortunately, since you've started a 'clean' install :emotion-6:  But doing a 'restore' would've been a lot quicker, and less hassle.

But I'm unclear as to why you've been tring to access files on the OS CD?

You just need to boot from the OS CD, (quick) format the hard drive (if you've added partitions yourself, make sure you format C:\, and not one of the others by mistake!), then install the OS :emotion-55:

If it gets stuck at the networking stage again during installation, it would suggest there might be something wrong with the CD?

The only way around that, is to either clean the disc and try again, or borrow a known working disc from a friend (or ask them to make a copy of theirs for you.  It's perfectly legal to use a copy.  It's using your licence key which is the important bit).

But make sure that any disc you borrow, is exactly the same OS as you're using.

3.4K Posts

December 16th, 2008 10:00

unfortunately, the computer will not let me get to the cd to access certain files. I can shut it down and even enter the boot sequence; however, it asks for the windows cd and begins the installation process once again, freezing again when it gets to networking.

Hello again,

It would help us to know your model number.

No Events found!