Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 2nd, 2012 04:00

Windows XP startup problem - can't repair it.

Can anyone help please?

My Dell desktop failed to start windows after shutting down while I went away for the weekend. I have tried various things so far to no avail:-

Used recovery disk to repair the windows installation - got so far then stalled. I switched off after about 2 hours.

Tried to rewrite windows over existing disk partition - failed

Went into recovery console I get the option of C;/Windows or G:/minint. Selected C:/Windows and tried bootcfg /rebuild but only G:minint being listed for selection

Tried copying various files from C:Windows\repair in C:windows\system32\config as suggested by someone on internet. Seemed to have got further but got missing or corrupt hal.dll file. Followed instructions to solve this but C:\windows still not being listed when I run bootcfg /rebuild (only G:\minint)

Tried again rewriting windows over disk partition  - boot.ini error message.

Any ideas please before I have to take the decision to reformat the hard drive?

Regards,

Dave.

9 Legend

• 

33.3K Posts

February 2nd, 2012 05:00

What Model PC?    We can't give you specific help without that.  

However, CTRL/F11 at power on will access the Dell recovery partition and allow you to restore the PC, it that is still on your PC and not corrupted.

How to run Dell PC Restore (CTRL/F11)

If this does not work, you will have to manually reinstall Windows XP    HERE is the Manual install instructions

8 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 05:00

I'll check which model I have and certainly try your suggestion.

8 Posts

February 2nd, 2012 11:00

I tried ctrl F11but nothing happened. My PC is a E520 running XP media centre edition. Any other ideas?

No Events found!